Why did I even study? ~New member~

Degree
Hey all,

I'm new to the digital marketing field, for the past couple of years wanted to start doing something in it. Currently, I'm finishing my uni degree in business, which is useless in fact. All of my trials of getting a paid full-time job/internship were unsuccessful, no matter what strategy I had used.

Sooo, here is me at the very beginning of the start. I don't aim for a lot of money/fame, just want to learn something useful and meet new people. Can you guys tell me any of your career stories?

I would appreciate any info-sharing or welcoming words. Have a wonderful day!

Degree
Welcome to the forum Jessica (if that really is your name :wink:).

What direction are you thinking of heading in? Meaning, what path are you thinking or pursuing? Freelance, affiliate marketing, etc.

Degree
Your business degree may not seem worth it while you're still going through the process of getting it. However, the critical thinking skills you learned along the way will pay dividends over your lifetime.

BCN

$$$$ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ $$$$
Degree
I have degrees in geology and engineering. Huge fucking waste of time since I don't use it directly - but the problem solving skills and analytical thinking you learn is important in any field.

Anyways, welcome to the forum; what kind of business are you starting?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Hey,
I'm finishing my uni degree in business, which is useless in fact.
Nah, it's quite useful actually, but you probably won't be able to see that until you're more experienced in the practicalities of business and you've seen some growth. Then all that stuff from business school will suddenly make sense.

Sooo, here is me at the very beginning of the start. I don't aim for a lot of money/fame, just want to learn something useful and meet new people. Can you guys tell me any of your career stories?
Sure, I studied economics, dropped out, studied some time abroad, discovered internet marketing as a means to extend my stay, got back, got a job, quit job, became self employed.

Degree
Welcome to the forum Jessica (if that really is your name :wink:).

What direction are you thinking of heading in? Meaning, what path are you thinking or pursuing? Freelance, affiliate marketing, etc.
Hey, thanks for the welcome.

I don't know exactly. Previously, I have had the experience of getting 2 certificates from Google in the Ads sector. After a glance, SEO looks like a perspective, technical (which gives it a bonus in my eyes) direction. I have the intention to participate in projects, not even paid ones for the beginning, so it looks like a freelance concept. The thing that fascinates me about digital marketing is universality and applied mean, it's very practical and feels like a craft.

Do you have any piece of advice?

Your business degree may not seem worth it while you're still going through the process of getting it. However, the critical thinking skills you learned along the way will pay dividends over your lifetime.
Yeah, I didn't mean it's useless overall. My concern was headed towards finding a full-time job, just the education doesn't give you enough for the companies/positions I had tried to get in. So, that's why I'm here now. Anyway, thanks for the reassuring words!

I have degrees in geology and engineering. Huge fucking waste of time since I don't use it directly - but the problem solving skills and analytical thinking you learn is important in any field.

Anyways, welcome to the forum; what kind of business are you starting?
Hello there, I haven't thought about starting my own company yet. Feel like the lack of applied skills in the industry, I want to close that gap through freelance projects in digital marketing (SEO maybe, pls check my previous reply, I mentioned it partly). My education isn't connected with technologies/digital field, it's more like conservative BBA one, anyway don't regret I got it.

Nah, it's quite useful actually, but you probably won't be able to see that until you're more experienced in the practicalities of business and you've seen some growth. Then all that stuff from business school will suddenly make sense.
Yeah, but finding your first real paid job is now frustrating.

Sure, I studied economics, dropped out, studied some time abroad, discovered internet marketing as a means to extend my stay, got back, got a job, quit job, became self employed.
Won't you mind me asking about your start? Where did you get skills/mentor/first projects from? Any recommendations about courses/websites/freelance platforms/forums? I would be so grateful to receive a reply!

BCN

$$$$ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ $$$$
Degree
Hello there, I haven't thought about starting my own company yet. Feel like the lack of applied skills in the industry, I want to close that gap through freelance projects in digital marketing (SEO maybe, pls check my previous reply, I mentioned it partly). My education isn't connected with technologies/digital field, it's more like conservative BBA one, anyway don't regret I got it.
I see. IMO SEO is not the best field to get into - I'd rather do paid traffic I.e. Google Ads, Facebook, Snap, etc.

It's more tangible, and an easier sell as you're working with clients who are spending money vs. many SEO clients, who are, very cheap. The exception are larger companies, but they won't work with freelancers anyways, but large agencies.

Since you asked about the career path above. I don't do any client work - sometimes some consulting - but work with affiliate marketing. So spending my own money on traffic to get paid per sales/lead.

I got into it because it's technical and somewhat scalable. It had nothing to do with what I studied. I just wanted to do something else - and jobs where I live pay low, so it's easy to beat with online money.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Won't you mind me asking about your start? Where did you get skills/mentor/first projects from? Any recommendations about courses/websites/freelance platforms/forums? I would be so grateful to receive a reply!
I began on useless forums like Warrior Forum and Black Hat World. This is the only forum worth anything by the way.

What really made me learn SEO though was working in an agency. I learned so much there, because they also had some affiliates there, but also a lot about structuring your work and such.

I learned the most from here though. The Digital Crash Course on this forum is all you need.

Degree
After a glance, SEO looks like a perspective, technical (which gives it a bonus in my eyes) direction.
SEO definitely can be technical. However, many clients won't have the money required to really build out a complete SEO strategy. Meaning, they'll have a budget of $300 a month, and they'll think that this is enough for you to do anything more than some on-page for 10 blog posts each money, when it reality, it isn't (unless you're working for peanuts). Also, with any organic marketing services, clients will have unrealistic expectations 90% of the time, which is something that can be difficult to maneuver (especially if you're not perceived as an authority in your field).
I have the intention to participate in projects, not even paid ones for the beginning, so it looks like a freelance concept.
Do this for 1 or 2 projects sure, but don't get caught in the "work for exposure" cycle that so many people claim is valuable (it is- but only for a little while). If you "work for exposure" for too long, you might end up attracting the wrong clientele (people who will offer you most exposure for work).
The thing that fascinates me about digital marketing is universality and applied mean, it's very practical and feels like a craft.
Yep- there are legitimate skills involved when it comes to digital marketing (I think this is one of the reasons why so many people fail).
Do you have any piece of advice?
If I had to start from 0, I would offer a paid service. Meaning, Google ads, Facebook ads, Pinterest ads, etc. Paid ads are easier to generate an ROI for clients, which helps bypass the impatience issue that always pops up when providing an organic service. Also, if you're providing a 2x ROI (or whatever) for a client, they'll be more likely to spend more money of ads, which leads to more money for you (more hours worked, more earnings from ad spend %, etc).

Degree
Hi Jessicah,
I can relate with feeling like the degree is kinda useless, I felt the same way. After some time though I realized that all the years I spent in school or university actually taught me how to learn new and sometimes complex topics. This thought inspired me to keep learning new things, teaching them myself by doing proper research, just as so many other people do on the internet. :smile:

What helped me to find a job was doing low paid internships. No matter where, but I went abroad. I learned so much about myself during those, also helped me to figure out what I am good at.
At one point I sort of stumbled into a job, quickly working my way up the latter, motivating me to start my own business after some time.

I think it helps if you just apply for a looot of jobs and internships and then just go for one in a great city and then see what happens. If you dont like it keep searching for something else. In my opinion it is important to just get started somehow, the rest will come in its own if you are ambitious.