Who here works remotely? (NOT in their home?)

Degree
Curious who's driving to an office in the morning, or who's halfway around the world. I'm getting tired of waking up, rolling out of bed, landing in my computer chair...

I'm tempted to rent an office which is WEIRD because working from home was a big incentive for me to get into IM in the first place.

I've had similar thoughts not so long time ago.

My conclusion is that the place (room) I'm working in everyday, I spend like 13 hours at least in front of my monitor, that place isn't just as comfortable as I would like it to be.

So after some evaluation of possible options, I've stopped thinking about moving to offices in town, and instead I've focused on changing my home so I can finally have better home office, and also view from the window (I need to be close to nature...).

I won't be moving to offices in the city, no fucking way! Instead I'm going to move out of the city entirely. Now I'm working my ass off so I can buy a house at least 30 miles from the city's borders.

After all, buying house in a beautiful place (as far from the town as possible) was one of the reasons I've started with this IM thing.

Eh, I've thought about it, but who wants the extra expense? Then if you have to move offices later because the building wants to hike up the rent too much? One room at my place is just for business, all the others are for hanging out. I have a separate desktop computer setup in the home office, then I have a Macbook for when I'm not working.

I think we want to get a place so we feel we're excelling forward, but it's just adding more complications no one wants. If you're on your own and don't need to see anyone to get money and no local employees (unless your place is huge) why bother? Others will say it's helped them, but it's not like it's a barrier to entry for success, plenty of amazing people just have a home office.

Those places where you share offices too, that seems shitty to me. People say it gets them connections, but there's a lot of ways to network. I make smelly ass food too, and the idea of making sure I have food in both fridges, and harder to cook there? Forget about it.

I got a condo last year and it's nice and quiet, easy for me to get work done. If I want to step out because I'm working too long there's plenty of opportunities but I'm a homebody anyways so that hasn't happened. Kids are a big factor too which makes a lot more sense here. I'm personally happy being cool with working from home and not caring. Lot's of headaches and money saved.

I have a nice laptop and keep thinking about going to coffee shops and what not, but I never do. I love my three monitors more than trying to work on a tiny laptop one.

What I do now is try to only do work in my office and make it as nice as possible. So that, while it's connected to my home, it's still separate in a sense, psychologically.

I'm just spoiled now. Having several browsers open, spreadsheets everywhere. My workflow is fast thanks to all this screen real estate. I feel very cripped on the laptop. However, if I was just writing content that might work out. I should have a "content day" and go sit somewhere with free drink refills!

Yep, two screens are better than one, and three are better than two :smile: I'm getting another screen... That should save me some time I guess?

Travel around the world to work? Hell no. The culture shock and new lifestyle will greatly diminish your productivity for weeks.

Eh, I've thought about it, but who wants the extra expense?

True dat.

Part of me wants to just give up my apartment once my lease is up in a couple of months, go somewhere nice for the winter, maybe commit to 3 or 6 months, and if I hate it I can always come home and find a new spot.

Using some "cost of living" calculators (I'm sure they vary wildly in terms of accuracy...), I could actually save a few bucks a month after I factor in not having to pay rent at home while I travel (if I time it right), storage for my stuff, travel expenses, rent in a new faraway land ... etc... I'm young, it would be an adventure, but I'm also so comfortable here. The whole digital nomad thing feels like a cliche at this point, but I'm sure there must be some BuSo people out there living it up?

Comfort kind of scares. I don't ever want to get TOO comfortable. At the same time, I don't really have the travel bug either.

Yeah I don't like the idea of a shared office spice, argh, I'd want to find one that's super private where I can come and go at all hours haha

I agree on the co-working idea. They're cost effective and some of them are awesome. Mayfair, London has some excellent ones and most have private desks you can rent as well. It'd be a great mix. + free coffee and shit.

Way better option than going the serviced office or leased route.

@Romac, I was traveling for the past year as a "digital nomad." Its easier to get things done when your work environment's consistent. Plus, I'm sure wherever you live at now has more reliable (and fast) WiFi than nomad spots. The adventure is worth it but you'll be trading your productivity for it. The savings isn't.

Yep, two screens are better than one, and three are better than two :smile: I'm getting another screen... That should save me some time I guess?

Two is better than one, but 3 can be dangerous. Watch out for 'watching your music'. That 3rd monitor can get pretty handy when you need it, but it can also become a constant youtube or streaming screen when really it needs to be shut off.

I have a home office and a physical office with employees/partners. I do more than half of my work from my home office.

It's very nice to have the both places I can go to get work done. For most of my work there is definitely a "better" place to do it depending on the type of work it is.

For someone that is 1 man team I really wouldn't suggest getting an office or co-working space. If your not motivated to work at home you'll probably still have trouble getting stuff done at your office and you'll have added to your expenses and wasted some time commuting and setting up your office. The exception would be if you live with someone that you need to get away from to achieve better productivity. Some people really won't get that you need to be left alone to work and depending on the situation it's just easier to get an office, I've seen friends in these situations before.

If you are trying to get motivation from your environment any boost you get will be short lived from the change IMHO.

@miketpowell Agreed, motivation has to come from within. In the past I've caught myself thinking "I'll buy this new laptop, that'll help with my productivity and motivation..." or "I'll get an iPad, that way I can get some work done while watching tv..."

Oh the games my human brain likes to play on itself :tongue:

Two is better than one, but 3 can be dangerous. Watch out for 'watching your music'. That 3rd monitor can get pretty handy when you need it, but it can also become a constant youtube or streaming screen when really it needs to be shut off.
That's actually a very good point. However, I don't listen music anymore while working. I've found out that music (of any sort) is killing my focus. Also, music influences my my mood a lot, and that can result in outcomes that I won't be liking.

Also, great point from @miketpowell. You have to train your environment (housemates) to respect your work. "Normal" people who are working 9-5 often don't understand the fact that working from home is also a WORK. Just because you are working from home doesn't mean you can do "this and that". You are still at work.

@miketpowell Agreed, motivation has to come from within. In the past I've caught myself thinking "I'll buy this new laptop, that'll help with my productivity and motivation..." or "I'll get an iPad, that way I can get some work done while watching tv..."

Oh the games my human brain likes to play on itself :tongue:
Ohh yeah. I know this. But this ain't going to work. New gadgets and tools won't make us better marketers (and fuck me... I have spent some money on those...), nor will improve our mood in long term.

Back