Who are the decent shared Hosting Companies now?

Degree
For the longest time I just defaulted to Hostgator because they always rocked. Then that guy sent out the email about him and his wife traveling the world and the lie of EIG being able to do a better job. Then it went south. Downtime, slower, etc. I need another host and I need to transfer some Hostgator stuff away. Can you guys recommend any other company?

I've tried A Small Orange in the past and they were fine, but I just looked again and found that they are owned by... dun dun dunnnn... EIG.

I've tried GoDaddy, who was okay but their backend was complete garbage and I don't think they even automate setting up simple stuff like MySQL databases. Everything had to wait like it was in moderation or something.

I've tried 1&1 Hosting and they were a joke and then tried to lock me into some false contract and keep charging me. Waste of time and very close to fraudulent.

I tried Namecheap and for some reason I quit using them too. I don't remember not liking them for any specific reason. I think I just ended up moving everything to Hostgator at that time for organization. But I do remember their backend being weird too. Not a typical cPanel. I could be wrong.

I hear stuff about Digital Ocean nowadays and droplets or something. Not sure about that. I want something managed with cPanel.

Haaaaallllp!

Anytime I see someone shunning ASO because they're owned by EIG I'm like "Ok cool man, miss out on a decent shared host...". Because that's the ONLY complaint anyone ever has. You never see anyone complain about a small orange other than saying "They're owned by eig, EWW".. but they ARE NOT managed like other eig brands, they're great. Like did you have any other issues with them or nah?

MDD is good, so is hawkhost and a couple more I might mention if they don't get brought up first. Ok, Medialayer too.

Decent, small shared hosts are kind of like proxies.. nobody really wants to share the best ones because that's how they get ruined lol.

Namecheap uses cpanel for their shared hosting, I would put them basically on par with the average shared host.

What do you need it for Teddy? Are you setting up a few sites and you want them all over the map, or do you need something for a bigger money-site type project? There are only a few shared hosts that I would trust with a site getting more than a few hundred visitors a day.

I have been using the $35 / year for some of my local clients from ASO - Works pretty well.
I have also been using their $45 / pm cloud vps -No issues. Zero.zip.zilch.
One host I sort of hate is Siteground.Had too many issues

+1 for the ASO cloud vps. If you aren't getting insane speed, hit them up. They sent my issue to a top-level admin within minutes and within the next 10, he had a big list of speed improvements to make on the backend and my site was like 3x faster than their default settings.

I've experienced the same thing with Hostgator. They used to absolutely ROCK. Over the past year it's really gone down-hill as far as shared hosting is concerned. Starting to switch over to DigitalOcean for websites that matter most to me. Great so far! Fast hosting!

+1 for Digital Ocean. Performance is good and initial setup is a breeze. I'm not a big fan of cpanels because most of them tend to mess with things in some esoteric way that seems to only make sense to the cpanel. Depending on your needs, you could set up something like Ajenti (http://ajenti.org/). It leaves the system config pretty much intact, you can still use the console (where I live mostly) and config files are where you'd expect them to be. Now if you want to talk shells, my personal preference is zsh which I use with tmux (http://tmux.sourceforge.net/) and this project (https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh). Lots of fun/power to be had there :smile:

I always hear good stuff about digitalocean.. I tried to set it up once but I was in waaaay over my head lol. I found instructions but I was worried I would inadvertently leave some huge security hole without even knowing it.

Back