Where To Buy Expired Sites

Degree
I hope you all had a wicked weekend!

Quick question for the morning - is there a place to buy projects that others have given up on?

I know EmpireFlippers is the place to go for those big money site buys but what about ones that are earning say $100 - $1,000 a month?

A sort of project graveyard.

Flippa looks pretty hit or miss and seems like it would take a lot of due diligence before buying something from there.

Any suggestions would be greatly received!

For this range of earning, it seems Flippa is your place. Yes it demands tons of your time, but you can find some worthy sites there.

Try Sideprojectors.com. These are fully functional sites that are different from the regular ones common in the likes of FEI, Flippa or EmpireFlippers.

I've had quite a bit of success in buying sites outside of marketplaces like flippa by just approaching owners directly,

The trick is to find sites which have definitely been abandoned but have good links in place,

You can try searching for things like "top x blogs 2013" where x is your niche and look for blogs which haven't had any new posts in the last few years.

by just approaching owners directly,

I've done this with an absurdly low success rate. The problem is that people get really attached to their "babies" and have no clue how to value it's worth besides emotional investment.

When I was doing this I wasn't nearly as slick or experienced, but these days I'd come at them about revenue and tell them a realistic valuation based on the industry norm, just to get them down to earth. Then I'd still be willing to pay far more once I've misdirected them, based on the link and content value.

Especially if you have a killer site already and you roll that one into the killer, all of that content when optimized is going to start ranking and earning.

Flippa is probably a good place, recently tried to sell a site on there for the first time...

Some of the offers I was getting were hilarious, people actually getting legit angry with me when I told them I wouldn't sell them a site worth 5 figures for a couple hundred $.

I'm sure there are some serious buyers on there, but there's also a lot of delusional time-wasters. So I think just fielding a reasonable offer is probably going to get you over the line in a lot of cases... Ended up selling the site privately for anyone interested in how that went lol

I've done this with an absurdly low success rate. The problem is that people get really attached to their "babies" and have no clue how to value it's worth besides emotional investment.

When I was doing this I wasn't nearly as slick or experienced, but these days I'd come at them about revenue and tell them a realistic valuation based on the industry norm, just to get them down to earth. Then I'd still be willing to pay far more once I've misdirected them, based on the link and content value.

Especially if you have a killer site already and you roll that one into the killer, all of that content when optimized is going to start ranking and earning.

Yes, you do get that - as you are making the first move as opposed to the owner listing it on Flippa, they feel like they have the upper hand and will give you some crazy high price. I normally say, "oh sorry I couldn't pay that much" and move on to the next one. Sometimes they will email back asking for your offer. That's when I ask for traffic / revenue stats and tell them the industry norm.

Keep persevering though, the one hit will make it worth it - I bought a site for $11k which I worked on for 6 months and it reached $13k in revenue last month!

Also agree about merging sites - Its a great tactic to add content from the purchased site to yours and then 301 redirect the old one, your site gets new content and a nice boost in links.

Does anyone else feel like Flippa has gone to shit recently? Even at the end of 2016 I could find 1-2 things now and then worth pursuing. Now it seems like all trash, and fewer listings to boot. I thought with the Amazon changes people would look to offload a deluge of sites, but I haven't seen any increase in affiliate sites - if anything a decrease. I was hoping to hunt the bargain bins, but I guess not.

with amazon changes, sites earnings dropped not valuation..still its 20-30X..

flippa is shit for ages..I remember 2008-09 time there was flood of listings for 'seo agency sites' .. and people were buying these shitty sites for couple of grands..and guess what..its still going on :-)

Hey @Lloops ,
There has been a lot of good advices here but let me see if I can add to it.

Depending on what you are looking for and like most have already stated, flippa seems the easiest place to start.

If you are not afraid to do some digging up and hard negotiating, then direct search is the next best approach according to my personal experience. There are a lot of blogs out there that make blog posts about wanting to sell their blogs, you just need the right search phrase. A simple example is "this website is for sale" this is not the best but it is a good start.

Other sites that I have been able to pick up bargains from are;
  • skimmarket.com
  • freemarket.com
Finally, go down the old forum route and put an ad out there. But with this route be prepared for a lot of shit being thrown at you. But it all comes down to patience, perseverance, consistence and stamina to stomach it. You will find one site in a few that ends up being a gold mine!

I picked up a site on a forum for $2500. The owner had no clue about amazon and was only using adsense for monetisation. All I did was swap adsense for amazon and revenue went from averaging about $150 a month to about £600 a month. The site is a UK site and is not affected by recent amazon changes.

Just remember to be patient, to persevere and be consistent with your efforts and you will find success.

Another great tip is 'look out for outdated CMS sites'..most of the site owners don't know much about amazon or affiliate marketing..

Back