When desktop ranks much more highly than mobile

Degree
When you are top 10 on desktop rankings but the same pages are 20+ on mobile rankngs but the site has nothing obviously wrong with it on mobile (it is responsive and looks decent) is there a checklist of anything that anyone can recommend? I am seeing this on 2 sites I am working on at the moment,.

Thanks

Page speed?
Difference in searcher intent on mobile? (E.g. searchers looking for stuff 'near me')
Is content boring/difficult to digest on smartphones?

I wouldnt think so on the intent, the term is basically an in person language class so its something like "french lessons".

The content also looks okay to me on mobile but maybe just because it looks okay to me it is not? Engagement and bounce rates seem good but perhaps google has a criteria for what good mobile content should look like?

Does anyone have anymore clues on this one

Could it be that you're loading scripts/ads that you are blocking/can't see when you verify they look good?

does your desktop version have anything extra? like more ads/sidebar/anything else. Compare both version closely

Are the target pages, the ones you want to rank, on AMP? AMP pages score very high for PageSpeed on mobile. It is a different technical standard than a normal webpage. After that, how is your site performing on PageSpeed Insights on mobile? A low mobile page speed might be what's hindering your site's ranking on mobile. Mobile scores are different than desktop scores. Simply "looking good" on your device is not enough. What matters is how it's performing for visitors of your site on Chrome and Android, where the PageSpeed Insight data is pulled from.

Post your PageSpeed Insights results here for mobile.

Back