When are you no longer a newbie?

Degree
I think everyone is a newbie at certain aspects... but when is it safe to say you're not a newbie anymore? (I know it's 3 posts in this forum, but I'm talking about the bigger picture lol!)

When people come to you for advice and you feel confident that your answer will make a difference in their problem. You determine your status as newbie, professional, expert - in your own mind. If you feel more then confident in helping people with a problem that you consider yourself more then a newbie in, then you have arrived at the next level.

Well said CCarter.

Holly, I think mindset has a lot to do with it. Someone who's "not a newbie" might see something for the first time, but they'll be approaching it with all of their other knowledge and experience and problem-solving skills...

Problem solving skills are huge. How many times have you seen a newbie ask a question when they could have easily found the answer for themselves? It's really what sets people apart, imo. Everyone comes across problems and hurdles and obstacles, but not everyone is able to get past them without having their hand held.

This is the same phenomenon that allows people to fake their way into guruship too, though.

I agree with it being a self-judgement and confidence thing, but those can go awry.

I think newbie-ship can be transcended in a specific area with a depth of knowledge, or across a whole field with a breadth of knowledge.

Both of those methods can result in mastery and tons of money, or at least a following.

When you have 3 posts...i am just doing the filler posts here

You are a newbie as long as you stay humble.They is always stuff to learn .

"The Beginner's Mind"... yes.

It's not about knowledge. It's about ego. As soon as ego ensnares you, you no longer have room for new knowledge. Your cup is full and anything new overflows. Gotta empty the cup and have a beginner's mind.

"He who knows, doesn't say. He who says, doesn't know."

That's taken out of context here but it still illustrates a point.

In my opinion you are not more a newbie when you give advice and argue why something has to be done that way. When you are confident giving people advice you shouldn't feel that 'newbie' anymore.

I'd like to think of myself as a "Newbie forever" - Learning never stops, and should never stop, especially when in the IM/SEO world. Things are changing to quickly to ever not be a newbie. Constantly learning, reading, running tests, case studies, experiments, finding what works and what does not.

Everyone has Failed and learned from there mistakes - in a field where technology and algo's move so rapidly, you have to constantly learn new angles of the algo/tech and tailor your plan of action around it in order to stay "ahead of the curve" in order to make your gains.

I love what @Ryuzaki said regarding "Ego's" - dont let your Ego get the best of you, stay humble and open minded, you'll be surprised how much information you can absorb and learn from those around you, even the newb's :cool:

I always feel like a newbie in a sense because I am always trying new things.

When I quit my 9 to 5 to become a copywriter after I was out-earning my daytime job, I felt like I was no longer a newbie in that freelancing realm. When I was able to quit freelancing because my passive income was outearning my freelancing efforts, I felt like I had a good grasp of it. That one took several tries to stick, though.

There's 1% or less possibility to go next level at the end of your life. That's how I understand it.

I have been doing this for years, still consider myself a newbie.
There is always more to learn, when you consider yourself a newbie you are more likely to ask questions and continue to perfect the grind. Don't be afraid to admit you don't know everything.

You're definitely a newbie when you make your inaugural post on a forum, that's for sure.

Graduating is earning trust, leadership and responsibility.

Hello, buso.

You're no longer a newbie when you realize that titles like "newbie" and "guru" are just made-up constructs that are meaningless to your business. There will always be people more and less knowledgeable than you at any given moment, so its pointless to give your position in the grind any weight. Create a plan and execute your plan. Ask questions when you're stuck. Don't worry about labels.

There is a difference between who knows the essential steps and who don't other than that is just strategies, methodologies, and concepts we all made to overcome problems, situations, issues...

Our ego as @Ryuzaki said you need to control it and give it more angles and dimension to elevate your skills of finding new point of views and developing a meaningful state of mind, that can make your own ego ask for more knowledge.

In a short phrase, the more you know, your mind and your ego tells you to know more, if you have a corrupt ego that think you are and expert you need to fix that, and give to yourself more knowledge.

What Albert Einstein means in his quote, when you know more you find other methods and steps that you didn't know when you know these steps and methods your mind find more ways then the first time and that cycle goes for the infinity, if Einstein still alive he will tell you that he don't know much about physics cause he know that there is more sides and point of view that he didn't find or experiment or even think of.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
Mahatma Gandhi

I think the only delineation between newbie and someone with more experience is that the person who has been around the block a few times is less inclined to fall for a lot of the bullshit and be able to pick out the gems that are available more frequently... or at all.

I think you're no longer a newbie when you use "delineation" when describing the differences between being a noob and someone with more experience. I love solid English.

We are all newbies in the game of life. It's not like we have past lives to help us with (or for those who believe in reincarnation, that we can remember). It's all new and as long as we keep learning we will be newbies at something. As for when aren't you a newbie?
When I got into cooking school I asked am I considered a chef when I am done? Or when does one actually become a chef? The simple answer was when others consider you a chef. Meaning when people see your skills and consider you a chef is when you become "A CHEF".

IM is the same! We are no longer newbies when others see our skills and say we are IMers!

I think everyone is a newbie at certain aspects... but when is it safe to say you're not a newbie anymore? (I know it's 3 posts in this forum, but I'm talking about the bigger picture lol!)
What a Newbie question... jk. I totally agree with @David Forer in the sense that you shouldn't label yourself, but allow others to recognize your skills. Then you will know. If you have to question yourself, then you probably aren't confident enough to not be what you self label yourself as. But don't listen to me, I'm just only a newbie, after all.

This industry changes faster and more often than just about any other sector on the planet. You could have started doing SEO and PPC in 2005 and within a year working you could have felt you weren't a newbie anymore. However, if you stopped after a year or two and just got back into the profession today, logged into your Adwords dashboard, you'd feel like a newbie.

That said, it still doesn't take that much education, training and skill set to get into one of the related internet marketing fields.

Back