What would you build with a personal domain?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
So I bought myname.com

Is there anything worth setting up for the future?

It's always a good thing to own yourname.com even if you don't use it. At some point, you may decide to act more publicly, and this property will come in handy for sure.

If you don't have an exact plan on how to use it a the moment, why don't set it up like a business card, something like an about me page with a brief presentation of yourself and contacts?

It's always a good thing to own yourname.com even if you don't use it. At some point, you may decide to act more publicly, and this property will come in handy for sure.

If you don't have an exact plan on how to use it a the moment, why don't set it up like a business card, something like an about me page with a brief presentation of yourself and contacts?

This is what I was thinking, almost like a CV or something similar.

Will try it, thanks! Whats the difference between Pico and normal HTML (https://freehtml5.co themes) ?

Pico, Phile, Grav, and others are flat file CMS. (A lot faster than Wordpress [even BuSoL] because there aren't any database queries.) Without going into the technical stuff, the difference between using Pico/Phile and normal HTML is that Pico/Phile takes care of templating/caching/plugin functionality/markdown/etc.

So, with HTML, you need a new HTML page for each new page of your site. With Pico/Phile you inject some twig code (the templating engine they use) into an html template and then you can just write in markdown files that specify (in the meta) which html.twig template you want to use. So, instead of looking at an HTML file, you just look at a markdown file (which you can also put html in). You can create however many page templates you need (page/post/blog/category) and then reference them as you go.

With custom meta you can use tags and categories too without a db. Pico/Phile will glance at the meta of every file and grab the ones with your category tag without having to do a DB retrieval.

The built-in caching is really, really fast.

No logins, secure, easy to move the entire site.

In the interim, setup a landing page, CV, lead gen form or whatever, since that's quick and easy. Over time, definitely worthwhile to use for building your own personal "brand" or as sort of a resume-style site to help convince potential future employers that you're the choice for them. In the event you want/have to take a job somewhere, the seeds are already planted.

Back