What is the easy and best way to find quality expired domain?

Degree
Hey there,

I am a newbie and I wanna know about expired domains. So, provide me some quality articles, videos or your suggestions. I just joined this forum and this is my first post :smile:

Cheers!

Hey welcome to the forum.

It'll help to know what traits you're looking for in a name.

If you're just looking for a cool brand for normal registration cost, or you want to invest in domains to flip them based on the quality of the domain itself, buying an auction account at GoDaddy for $5 will give you access to a huge chunk of what's out there.

JustDropped is decent for searching the lists of domains that have recently become available to register again, but ExpiredDomains.net has a ton of lists that you can search and sort, including lists from a ton of different aftermarkets.

Most domain registrars have some sort of aftermarket/marketplace for names that are in the process of expiring, too. NameSilo uses a reverse auction where the price gets lower and lower until someone bites, Dynadot has a standard auction for these names.

If you're thinking of using it to get an SEO boost on a new project, it might be better to shop for names right before they've actually dropped. There are a million other SEOs searching these same lists, so when you're on DropCatch.com and you see a name being bid up and it doesn't seem like a good domain at all, it probably has a crazy backlink profile.

SnapNames and NameJet are a couple of other places where you can backorder domains before they drop to have them sent to auction.

There are several sellers that to a lot of due diligence and the filtering for you. One of which sells on this forum. It's arguable if these sellers have quality domains suitable for building a long term business on. There are more that you'll find with a quick Google.

Domcop is an option.

If you're thinking of using it to get an SEO boost on a new project, it might be better to shop for names right before they've actually dropped.
Do you think this could jeopardize the site somehow in the future?

I'm trying to build out a brand site (the legit way), but have a feel that this is somewhat taking a shortcut (which it is if you want to bypass some initial waiting/sandbox).... I guess if I was only going to rely on organic traffic this would be a concern. So it shouldn't be right? :D

The other disadvantage to this is actually finding a domain that is somewhat brandable. But now that i think of it, you could always rebrand in the future and pass along most of the link juice.

This topic has been covered a couple of times.

A quick search of Google with
Site:buildersociety.com 301
should answer some of your musings.

As I recall, some people have mentioned seeing sites in the wild, built on domains with a completely different theme history. Think home improvement to affiliate tech reviews, doing well in the serps.

I m currently working with a site that is trying this transition. The jury is still out on it for me. But it's early days.

Spamzilla gives you many SEO metrics for daily drops, imo better than Domcomp.
Hey Golan, could you share a few of your "must-have" filters for filtering domains on Spamzilla? I'm looking for an expired domain for building a new site.

What's your take on:
  • SZ Score (how much is too much)
  • SZ Drops (no recent drops for SEO?)
  • SZ Parked
  • Reliability of Majestic Topics (do you use them?)
  • Any other tips you have
I got the software and I'm slowly learning the interface, but the amount of information they have is confusing.

Hey Golan, could you share a few of your "must-have" filters for filtering domains on Spamzilla? I'm looking for an expired domain for building a new site.

What's your take on:
  • SZ Score (how much is too much)
  • SZ Drops (no recent drops for SEO?)
  • SZ Parked
  • Reliability of Majestic Topics (do you use them?)
  • Any other tips you have
I got the software and I'm slowly learning the interface, but the amount of information they have is confusing.
Frankly i never use their own metrics. Just dont have time to learn something new. I filter by DA TF DR RD, and then parse everything.

Back