What goals do you set when you start a new venture?

Degree
Usually when starting any kind of project I have multiple goals in mind. I categorize my goals in 2 sections, long term, and short term. The short term ones are for feeling proud of what I've achieved and giving me more of a reason to work an extra x hours when I'm nearing them. The long term goals are to keep me going and never be satisfied with any amount of autopilot earnings.

Short term goals are usually basic things like $xx/day for minimum 1 week straight, 100,000 unique visitors, and so on, whereas the long term goals are a bit more interesting with $5,000 total revenue, a new (computer/phone/car/house?!). Although with these, I'll sometimes get too attached to my money and choose not to buy a fancy $1500 gaming PC and just get something that gets the job done.

So what are some of your go-to goals and other methods of staying self-motivated?

no joke, when I start a new venture the #1 goal I set is:

do i really need to be doing this? is it aligned with my core values, mission statement, and long term goals?

learning to know what to start, and knowing what to cut.. makes all the difference

Whenever I start a new venture, I fixate my mind to:

"It's success, or knowledge, failure is a myth."

It depends. If it is separate from my main business, then likely the main goal is to figure out whether or not it takes time away from my longer term goals. I try to avoid short term wins vs. long term gains.

If the project is related to my main business then the first goal is whether or not it adds value (not necessarily monetary) to the business.

If I was starting again, then the first thing to establish is profitability. I wouldn't have wanted to spend years working hard on something with no proven profitability.

I remember when I first got started, I created an Excel sheet with TONS of goals like that, printed it in landscape mode, and had made little boxes next to each item. I'd color them in black when it was achieved, and it motivated me quite a bit. I'll probably do that again but just for the case study site instead of my entire business., thanks for the reminder.

I had items like:
  • Earnings Per Day Average (total of month divided by 30 days)
  • Total Accumulated Earnings
  • # of Posts Live
  • Traffic Numbers
  • Stuff I wanted to buy with the money

I can't even remember all of the points I had on there. There were tons. Some of them weren't well thought out. It almost takes some form of algorithm to make sure they all make sense with each other.

do i really need to be doing this? is it aligned with my core values, mission statement, and long term goals?

learning to know what to start, and knowing what to cut.. makes all the difference

Agreed. I'm a big fan of asking myself "Can I do this without effecting my current ROI on existing projects?".

If the answer is yes, and it's a viable idea, go for it.

If not, it's rarely a good idea to sacrifice the proverbial bird in hand for an unknown amount in the bush.

That's a question not a goal, right?

the goal is to stay aligned with my core values, mission statement and long term goals. This is the goal of all my new ventures.

Therefor the question, is the goal

the goal is to stay aligned with my core values, mission statement and long term goals. This is the goal of all my new ventures.

Therefor the question, is the goal

By the laws of the English Language I'm pretty sure that question isn't a goal. Your second attempt is though :wink:

Back