what do you guys think about my idea

aviators

Learn to earn
Degree
so from my introduction thread i have decide to start over and create income generating online assets. Looking at posts by @Tavin and the others(i forget which are the other threads), it really inspires me to know people are making income from content websites which is align to my current goals.

The current idea I am having at the moment is to create a website similar to viralnova and fill it up with curated content. However the website that I am planning to make is dedicated to a certain niche and target audience.

The traffic that I have in mind will be majority from facebook via paid post similarly to what has been laid out on viper chill and of course I will try my best to do list building from there.

I have seen mentions of traffic leaking but I have yet to understand what is about and if this form of traffic is ideal for my niche.

The current concern that I have is that I am not sure if my idea is feasible and I definitely like to what the experts think about it.

I think going niched is the smartest way to start a site like this, in 2015, unless you have big experience, a rocksolid team and a big budget. Otherwise, you're just competing against a million other viralnova clones for the same traffic, paying more and more for it as time goes on, getting paid less and less from advertisers as things get more saturated...

So, good call on going more niched because you can carve out your path and it gives you an edge. I strongly suggest you find a writer (or yourself) who can make this stuff unique, rather than just copy pasting like a lot of people are doing. That way you can build a real audience that will love your brand. The test I use now is "Would somebody buy my website's logo on a t-shirt?" So what we're talking about now is a blend of curated and unique content, with everything that gets published having your own spin on it.

Having an audience that looks forward to your new posts and KNOWS they'll find good shit on your site is so much more valuable in the long run than having an audience of a bunch of people who will lose it at #23 or will never believe what happened next.

I'm sure there's still money to be made on those VN clones but I think it's much smarter to tweak that model otherwise you're swimming against a current that's only getting stronger. With what I outlined, you'll get more love from search engines, you'll have a passionate audience, and you won't be nearly as beholden to Facebook in the long run becuase you're building a brand and not just a domain to send traffic to...because after all is relying on FB traffic really any better than relying on Google?

@MetaData thanks for reply and advice.It really help ease the burden I have in my head.

btw how can i know if my niche is profitable or in demand if it does not fall under the big 3 niches(health, wealth, relationships). Since the website main traffic will not be focus on SEO thus I believe keyword count for the niche/topic will not matter. However this niche is quite popular on pinterest/among the female demographic only that it does not fall under the big 3.

You can PM me if you want to be more specific and I'll let you know my thoughts but off the top of my head there's entertainment, travel, fashion, sports, real estate, education, and so many other massive niches so I wouldn't worry about it not falling into one of those 3 very broad categories. Your niche doesn't even have to be massive to make money. Maybe try plugging some words into Buzzsumo and see some of the most popular content is in your niche, see what kind of traction it has gotten?

Last edited:
@MetaData All this while I have been submitting URLs to check popularity of the individual posts. I manage to check some of the relate keywords to my niche and one of them is shared over 6k on fb just last week alone and another keyword has over 14k shares.. damn :surprised:

thanks again for the advice :D

will open up a journal thread soon :D

Like meta data said niche is the way forward.

My first success, was a micro micro micro niche. Buy the end of the second month, it had paid for the domain, hosting and time to build.

Year down the line it is still earning over $200 per month on auto pilot.

That website took my 1 whole day to build and create content. And by one day I mean, I got up at 5am and didn't stop till 5am the next day.

@Grind22 how did you get traffic to that site? was it SEO or some kind of traffic leaking form?

Long tail SEO tacocat

Sounds super interesting!
I would appreciate if you could talk more about your strategy here? Did you use guest posts or build traffic through a passionate community?

You usually don't have to do much (or any) link building for long tails. These keywords are the random strings that people search for that no tool could ever predict. Getting a ton of long tail traffic goes all the way back to high quality, valuable content that is packed with LSI/related keywords and keyword synonyms that increase your sites relevance dramatically. Once your site has some age and a semi-quality link profile, you should start to have some trust with Google and will start to see LT traffic flow in. In my opinion, it's not really worth it to optimize for any single long tail search, as it's completely impossible to know if/when it will be used for a search again.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about sub-50 searches here. You can always target small keywords at 50-500 searches. At that point, it's just a numbers game. I just don't really consider those the long tail.

Back