Weird sleep patterns

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Lately I've been sleeping twice a day for 3-4 hours instead of just once. I'm wondering if anyone else has fallen into a pattern like this... I like it, I feel a lot more focused for a lot longer... but it makes it tough to make plans.

Did a bit of research and found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep#Biphasic_sleep

And I gotta ask... anyone ever tried "Uberman" sleeping? Six naps throughout the day, 20 minutes each... There's people who are only sleeping for about 2 hours a day...?! I wonder what it feels like after a few days, a week, a month...That sounds crazy, what about REM?

I read that in the past (pre-electricity) it looks like humans actully had 2 'sleeps' per night. Essentially you would go to sleep for about 4 hours or so and then wake up for an hour or 2, have sex, have a smoke etc etc, and then go to sleep again for a 'second sleep' of about 4 hours. So, thinking about that you may actully be reverting to a more natural pattern of sleep.

Regarding uberman I've heard its a lot of hype and not infinitely sustainable and at some point a few weeks in you will crash out and have wierd ass side effects.

I read something a while ago about people who would go deep underground, away from any sunlight, and then just do their thing, sleeping whenever they felt tired... it was some kind of study... and from what I remember, their sleep pattern would change each night (Like they'd either go to bed 20-30 minutes earlier each day, or 30 minutes later.. or something?) Wish I could track it down, it was interesting.

Interesting I also vaguely remember reading something about sleep patterns underground, but what I remember was that their days got longer like they would stay up for over 24 hours before sleeping for 12 or more. But, yeah, we both need better sources than vague recollections of past articles lol

I read an interesting article a while ago about sleep patterns being genetic. Basically the thought process is that in the early days of humanity, we had night watchmen and day laborers (read: farmers and hunters). Basically, it says if you're a night owl it's because you descend from the watchmen and if you're a morning person you descend from the laborers. I don't know how much stock I put into that, but the article had a good point in the end.
Don't fight your nature. Find the sleep pattern that works best for your energy levels and run with it.

I'm a huge fan of naps. I take a 40 minute to 2 hour nap almost every day. Sometimes it's close to noon, sometimes its around 6 or 7 before I go out for the night. I keeps my productivity high, my energy flowing, and helps my brain clear better than almost any other method I've been able to find.

And hey, if it worked for guys like Churchill, JFK, Napoleon, Edison, and Stonewall Jackson I feel like I'm in good company.

Unfortunately, I can't take naps :( it would just be a waste of time because I'd say "okay I'll take a 1 hour nap" and I'd lie there for the entire hour staring at the ceiling. I just don't have that gift where I can just go to sleep at any time I want... I have a really hard time falling asleep even when in exhausted and it sucks because my thoughts keep racing and don't settle down. I've tried to work on my sleeping habits in the past, and I failed :( I'm not gonna start taking sleeping pills so I guess I'm just stuck with it

Yes, I knew the guy who did "uberman" thing like for a week or so. The plan was to go for 30 days but after a week (or less) he stopped the experiment. Simply, he was out of his mind after those days. Problems with concentration, and a huge desire to get a solid proper sleep. It's just not natural for us to have sleep pattern like that. I'm sure that with a right dose of commitment and time one can eventually "evolve" to sleep like that but, what's the point? Ins't better to just go and get 5 hours of sleep? BTW, there was a bodybuilder once (can't remember his name) and he was a businessman also. He worked his whole day and then at night (around 9 pm and 1 am) he was doing his workouts. He slept around 4 hours a day. He became Mr.America later on. (or Mr.Olympia).

lol, I'm sure it was you. How is your deadlift Mr.Shuga?

Good story. Hollywood should make use of it

I read about someone... Tim Ferris or Steve Pavlina or one of those self-help gurus who claimed to have pulled off the Uberman for a month or two before it started to feel normal and before they could function normally. But they eventually broke from it because the wife and children simply refused that kind of schedule.

I once went biphasic and my wife pitched a fit about it. It cut down on our "together time" and she didn't like the fact that i wouldnt' go lay down in bed with her at the normal time. Lasted a couple of weeks. I can't say i was more or less productive though. I did sleep about 1-2 hours less per day, and just that little bit more of awake time produced a deep sense of boredom and wanting to just go to sleep and not wanting to fill that time.

I read about someone... Tim Ferris or Steve Pavlina or one of those self-help gurus who claimed to have pulled off the Uberman for a month or two before it started to feel normal and before they could function normally. But they eventually broke from it because the wife and children simply refused that kind of schedule.

Was it this? http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/
It seems pretty interesting, but I happen to enjoy sleeping and don't find it worth the tradeoffs. Especially the difficulty with timing naps

If I could just manage to sleep ONLY 7-8 hours per night, that'd be an improvement for me. :confused:

Back