Web 2.0 PBN With Tumblr - Best Practice?

Degree
I was reading this post by Franklin Hatchett. I went and bought 20 expired Tumblrs with PA 30+ and now I am kind of scared to link them to my site because 20 Tumblrs with no posts all linking to my site might be seen as spamming by Google?

What is the best practice for using web 2.0's to create backlinks to boost your money site in the SERPs?

I was thinking:

1) Link out to authority sites in the same niche (not just Wikipedia).
2) Create several pages about the same topic as the page on my money site BEFORE creating a post that links to my money site's page.
3) Add images and embed videos relevant to my keyword/niche.
4) Use brand and naked URL anchors for most of the links.
5) Drip them at 2 or 3 per week (so 6 weeks until I have linked all 20).

Last edited:
Hey, I think you can post here SEO related questions: https://www.buildersociety.com/forums/search.31/

For your questions :

I would take the best ones by looking at the stats, and build them out more.
- Add content
- Reblog some stuff
- Follow some people
- Link out to authority sites
- Etc

Once they are more real looking, slowly start building links to your site, I would use only brand, naked, generic URLs.

I would do this probably only with 5 of the best tumblrs you have.

What I would do with the rest is :
- Link to your social media pages
- Link to your existing backlinks

Basically juicing up your tier 1 links.

How many links do you have in total? Because if you have anything less than like 300, 20 tumblrs would be too much. When do you see a site with a link from tumblr anyways?

And it is 2015 strategy, its not as effective as it was. I remember in 2016 pointing 30 tumblrs and ranking improvement was minimal, so ye.

Honestly OP, if your "tactic" is the hottest thing on blackhat forums and blackhat methods - what makes you think it'll be around in 2-4 years? Recreated dead Tumblr accounts was old news in 2015.

Really think about it in your heart of hearts - are you going to get to 10K a month in profit wasting time with dead tumblrs as PBNs? Maybe there is 1 out of 20,000 people being successful and "killing it" with dead tumblrs and making $10K a month... but does this really sound like a business "strategy or tactic" you would run a real business off of or just a "scheme"?

There are different levels to "Online Ventures/Business":

1. There is "Scheming" - you'll find people mostly doing blackhat methods for short term profits - very few are really successful now a days. You aren't really adding any "value" to any customers or visitors.

2. Then there is "hustling" - this is grinding/bruteforce methods - these tactics work and can be scaled out, but eventually they will wear you out when doing them over long periods of time. Here you are gearing towards helping/services customers.

3. Solopreneur/(2-3 guys in a garage) - this is how most companies get started - grinding away at an single idea with the end goal of adding value to customers/clients or the world in general. Getting this to scale into a full entrepreneur business requires you bringing in experts or knowledge on scaling and growth. Solopreneur are straight up workers - like an employee for their own company.

4. Entrepreneur - You delegate and run the operation without you having to be hands on in everything. You concern yourself with branding, new products, new ideas, and different ways to help and service your customers/clients - OR better yet have them help themselves by using your products or services.

5. Big Business - Considered a leader in some category in your industry and respected (or envied or hated by your competitors).

I used to be a schemer, nothing wrong with it, but I realized I can make more money by helping customers get to certain goals. I went through the evolution of hustling to solopreneur to entrepreneur and back to solopreneur and back to entrepreneur. One day I'll be at "Big Business" level. My main point is at certain levels you shouldn't be wasting energy towards things that are scheming.

You can potentially take all that energy you are wasting with Tumblr - create a great interactive content piece then spend energy promoting and traffic leaking it and turn around and make $500 in single day and have streams of revenue coming in from a single piece of content for years to come. Same amount of effort and energy but you get better return on that energy and longer term results.

At this point, if you agree with the posts above but don't want to take a loss on it...

I'd take the best one and build it out to 7+ LEGIT posts, interlink them around but mainly to one inner-post (not the homepage) and link it to one of my own inner pages. Then I'd just let it exist for as long as Tumblr does and never think about it again.

With the others, I'd go completely hands free. I'd hire a cruddy VA to write some cruddy content, maybe get each to 5 posts. Then I'd hit up my Skype group or whatever, have people pass the word around to spammers, and let them buy posts. Maybe limit it to 3 sold posts each with the promise they won't spam them. You could recoup your costs and make a tiny bit of profit to pay for building the best one out legitly.

Then again though, now you're talking about losing time, even with outsourcing most of it.

Or you could build them out to 3 posts each, link them all to a spam project, and slam them with a little bit of spam (not enough for Tumblr to delete them). But I wouldn't aim it at a good site.

@CCarter - it's easy seeing the progress when your looking from the top
I'm stuck at hustle/Solo, it's killing me!
But, back to the grind, theses gears have some tread left :neutral:

Honestly OP, if your "tactic" is the hottest thing on blackhat forums and blackhat methods - what makes you think it'll be around in 2-4 years? Recreated dead Tumblr accounts was old news in 2015.

Really think about it in your heart of hearts - are you going to get to 10K a month in profit wasting time with dead tumblrs as PBNs? Maybe there is 1 out of 20,000 people being successful and "killing it" with dead tumblrs and making $10K a month... but does this really sound like a business "strategy or tactic" you would run a real business off of or just a "scheme"?

Then what do you use for getting down your anchor text ratio?

At this point, if you agree with the posts above but don't want to take a loss on it...

I'd take the best one and build it out to 7+ LEGIT posts, interlink them around but mainly to one inner-post (not the homepage) and link it to one of my own inner pages. Then I'd just let it exist for as long as Tumblr does and never think about it again.

With the others, I'd go completely hands free. I'd hire a cruddy VA to write some cruddy content, maybe get each to 5 posts. Then I'd hit up my Skype group or whatever, have people pass the word around to spammers, and let them buy posts. Maybe limit it to 3 sold posts each with the promise they won't spam them. You could recoup your costs and make a tiny bit of profit to pay for building the best one out legitly.

Then again though, now you're talking about losing time, even with outsourcing most of it.

Or you could build them out to 3 posts each, link them all to a spam project, and slam them with a little bit of spam (not enough for Tumblr to delete them). But I wouldn't aim it at a good site.

The 20 expired Tumblrs cost me about $10, so no concerns about recovering the loss. I would rather use them myself for something. I am thinking they will still be useful for brand/naked url/generic anchors to get my anchor text ratio way down? I will link a few to my FB page with 6000 likes and maybe send some to Twitter or something?

Then what do you use for getting down your anchor text ratio?
Wouldn't the tactic I talked about, creating the interactive content and promoting it, do that for me? Why would I even need to waste time measuring my anchor text ratio? - I'm doing marketing not just "SEO".

If you believe this blackhat tactic is "great" then go for it. But who do you see doing this tactic? Any large or serious companies doing it? Is Amazon buying dead tumblrs? Are the top 10 websites ranking in big money niches buying dead tumblrs? Do you see TheWireCutter buying dead tumblrs? Do you see PayDayLoan Bosses buying tumblrs? What you see is a ton of spammy blackhat tactics doing this - and somehow you don't see how it's a waste of time? Okay.

Maybe making $10-50 a month is fine for some 3rd word country setup, but... at some point you are going to have to get serious and if your goal is really to "Grind to 10K", well... I don't think you are going to get there with dead tumblrs or spammy tactics which are already considered old. I'd rather put energy potentially creating $500 a day with content pieces than playing around with $10 dead tumblrs.

At least you can point them to your social profiles as you said.
Assuming you decided that you are going with PBN as your main ranking tactic, then to diversify your anchors do stuff normal business do: Citations and Press Releases, and maybe Profiles, but any other seo tactic just screams that you're doing seo.

Back