VeraCrypt... ftw? wtf?

Degree
Of course I was a TrueCrypt guy, never paid much attention until they shit the bed. Recently bought a new lappy and tried VeraCrypt to encrypt my harddrive... fail... then tried a folder...fail... then tried a file... fail.

Anyone else had some success with VeraCrypt?

Thought about it, but been using 7zip with encryption and password for most things.

Hadn't had an issue when I did use VeraCrypt though

Yeah I use it. What do you mean you tried to encrypt a folder/file? It only has 3 choices: encrypt system partition/drive, encrypt other partition/drive, or make an encrypted container (just a file that mounts as a virtual drive).

I tried to do encrypt system on my windows 10 PC, but it failed (non-catastrophically). Windows has all these internal safeguards now against you messing around with the boot. Instead they just want you to upgrade to the Pro version if you want your whole system encrypted (uses the TPM).

The non-system options work fine though.

What's your end-goal with using veracrypt? Are you wanting to just encrypt your entire hdd? You can just use bitlocker for that, its built into windows.

What's your end-goal with using veracrypt? Are you wanting to just encrypt your entire hdd? You can just use bitlocker for that, its built into windows.
Only the pro version, which costs about $100 to upgrade to. But yeah it is the best way.

Just remember that the encryption wall ends where ever your cloud storage folders begin. Even if your drive is encrypted, your Google Drive folder contents end up effectively unencrypted on their server. So you have to use an encrypted container within that folder (on top of the local bitlocker encryption) to keep everything "your eyes only".

Last edited:
Back