Using Memes

DD1

Degree
Good morning Builders,

Anyone has experience using memes on their money sites? I am interested in adding some on mine.

Benefits I see:
  • humanize my money site and make it more personal, approachable, relatable, less uptight and professional,
  • it is also a great way to add images, instead of relying exclusively on the same manufacturers images reproduced on Amazon listings.
Possible issues:
  • copyright from original image owners (an old TV series in my case)
  • alienating part of my audience (to which I don't care at the moment because 1- I barely have any and 2- I'd rather engage more of some than just be another tasteless internet experience to all)
Any and all inputs are welcome. Thanks and I hope you all have a productive weekend.

Based on what you've said, you're goals are:
  • Improve UX and engagement
  • Improve uniqueness of content
Memes might not be the best option to achieve your goals. It depends on the niche and audience of course. Memes are usually more appropriate on social.

Using the wrong content type on the wrong type of platform can actually hurt UX. Just look at LinkedIn now becoming Facebook; memes and all...

Unique Images
Just as with ad blindness, the same occurs with played out, generic product pictures. The solution is acquiring unique ones. I'd recommend attacking that directly, instead of trying to approach it with memes.

So what are some options?

Buy real pics from other people
Fiverr-type marketplaces might be an option. Consider the LTV of revenue for a single product listing.

For example, say a single product is worth $1,000 profit over the course of a year. Plenty of people will gladly take $50, $100 or whatever to take those legit pictures for you.

The cost, $100 vs. $1,000 profit, would be a no-brainer in terms of the ROI. Now just scale that acquisition as time and budget allows.

Take your own pics
If product volume is low, but the LTV is good, consider investing in product purchases. Buy some of the products yourself, and take the types of pictures you know your audience wants. Maybe they want more detailed imagery, showing all the fine details.

Maybe they want to see the products in use. If so, get some friends or even pay for a photoshoot gig to have someone model them. Remember the LTV and possible ROI. Spending a few bucks to make dozens or hundreds of percent more ROI just makes business sense.

Maybe they simply want images of the product in a real environment beyond a white background.

Don't forget, you can boost this investment by turning right around and:
  • Holding a giveaway contest
  • Holding an auction for charity (Humanizing angle. Brand win!)
For this angle, and depending on the niche/products, you might find inspiration researching lifestyle brands. A lot of good imagery there. For example, I did a quick search and picked Olukai, a footwear brand.

Weather_Category__PDP_Page_Block_03.jpg

Courtesy Olukai

Little did I realize, within a minute or two, I'll be damned if the marketing didn't work. I realized I was actually looking to buy. LOL

Sometimes it's just a matter of pointing out the things your customers care about, and not boring them with all the things they don't.

Have a photo submission contest
  • e.g. "Enter to get your pic featured and win a free..."
  • Cover yourself in disclaimer/terms

Digital pics

• Consider creating digital product representations
  • Might be a good option for product lists, like category pages
  • These can help theme your site, starting to develop that unique appearance

If You're Going to Use Memes
Just like with any content, uniqueness pays here as well. Being a student of you're audience's human nature helps a lot.

Their pains. Their experiences. Their desires. Now take those and create ideas that take them to their natural extreme. Bonus points if you use totally unique images no one else has "meme-ified" before.

The goal I'd have for this is to boost off-site activity, traffic leak, and build your audience. In essence, go where the people already are, and engage them in the ways they like.

Good morning Builders,

@turbin3 Great input and ideas, unique images it is then. I especially like the photo contest as a way to generate unique images. It is also a good way to find people with good photography skills and ask specifically for extra photos from those.

@Potatoe Where did you find that picture of me?? LOL

Thank you both for your time -- especially on a Saturday.

Back