Using Aged Domains For Money Sites

Degree
Hi Guys,

So I have a question regarding using Aged Domains for Money Sites.

Do you guys 301 all currently indexed pages for the domain and 301 them to the homepage?

Or do you just load a new site on there with new content?

Just thinking of the best way to do this.

Do you guys 301 all currently indexed pages for the domain and 301 them to the homepage?

Matt Cutts said that this is one of the ways they spot PBN's and the misuse of aged domains. I wouldn't mass 301 inner pages to the homepage of the original domain or the target domain.

If an inner page has links to it, it needs to find a closely related page to 301 to on the main domain, or you can re-post the content that was on that page on the main domain, or have new content produced.

All 301's need to map to closely related pages. Homepage to Homepage, Contact to Contact, About to About, etc. For inner pages, if they're either worth 301-ing or not. But never just mass re-direct to the homepage.

The first thing I do is look at all pages that had backlinks and determine which pages are worth saving. After that, I then browse all the old content and determine how much of that I can move to the main domain, and if I do that I'll set up a 301 as well. There's usually a lot of pages with crap content and no links that aren't worth saving. I let those 404.

Or do you just load a new site on there with new content?

Why not do both? Create a new site and also recreate (or write new articles and make it on the exact same topic) the pages that have links and 301 the old URLs to the new ones.

Whenever you have a "this or that" kind of question, the best answer is usually "both" or "somewhere in the middle"

Depends on the Aged Domain. If you bought a nice Woman's rights website with a great link profile, and you intend to market Car parts (or some other product far from the niche), you're not going to have much success.

The ideal way is to find an expired site in the same niche and rebuild it 100% the same. Let it index and slowly take over it. Slowly un-brand it and then make it your look and feel.

You can find such niche relevant sites by using crawlers or drop catch.

If the inner pager has enough links to make it worth my while, i recreate the page either with the original content, or relevant content and then link from there to a post that contains my moneysite link. I've also 301ed to a different internal page (not homepage) but i do believe that google is looking for relevancy and most probably dimisses these 301s or even worse.

I found someone in my niche who recently bought an aged domain with high DR (60 +) who belongs to some politics for a previous election. No 301, he just put content ont that domain.
The domain is used for Amazon affiliate, and he is killing it. Top 3 spot for a lof of buying keyword.

There is no releveance at all with the backlink profile but apparently it's not a problem for Google.
So I guess it's working and the guy must make a ton of money, at least for now. I don't see that strategy working for a long term plan, but you never know

I don't see that strategy working for a long term plan, but you never know

I agree. Google seems to recalculate relevancy off-line and merges it into the algorithm once in a blue moon. He'll likely see a serious drop in rankings eventually. But if he's making money now perhaps it's worth it.

Back