TV in the office?

contract

We're all gunna mine it brah.
Degree
What's your take on having a TV in your home or other office?

Working an entire day with just music day after day gets old. Sometimes I'll just throw up a tv show in the background and hide the window just to hear some background noise going on.

How many of you leave a TV running while your working at low volume? I'd prob just keep it on a market/business/stocks/world news channel to stay in the flow of business content.

Would be nice to have like another XX" of screen space on the wall for use as a 2nd monitor too.

I can see a TV being an added/extra cost, assume that's removed. Would you still want one?

I personally can't stand a TV blaring on in the background when I'm doing anything other than actively watching TV. Hurts my focus and almost makes me anxious. I don't think I've ever fallen asleep when there was TV or some kind of dialogue going on right next to me either, something to do with my brain hyper focusing on human speech against my will.

But I know for some people it's the other way around when they're working by themselves all day.

I guess I've just always been really comfortable being on my own, ideally in relative silence or with good instrumental music on in the background.

I am with @Bastion - I can’t think or code with human voices in the background or even closely to where I can understand what they are saying. I can’t even listen to music with lyrics.

I can however do that when I am designing or doing something creative that requires the other side of my brain. But I can't easily switch back and forth from coding to design; I need like 2-4 hour break in between.

Basically it comes down to coding all day or being creative all day, never can I do both the same day.

I am with those two.
For intense work, all noise is off.
No music, no TV, nothing.

I haven't watched TV since 2009 or so and have never found TV to help me concentrate. I have some type of music on at all times while I work, mostly instrumental. At the very least I'll have a fan going - anything to provide a bit of "back-pressure" against the silence.

Back