Trying to learn the art of cold email and closing the deal - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by stymie, Apr 4, 2018.

1. stymie

stymie

Degree:
    I've had quite a bit of success with SEO, but I feel like I have let some clients slip through my fingers due to my inability to close the deal. In hindsight, I also feel like my approach with cold and semi-warm leads has scared off some businesses that probably would have become clients if my approach/copy was better.

My problem? Everything I write tends to come out sounding like a sales pitch. I try like crazy, but the final product almost always seems "salesy". Over the last few months, I have been reading a lot about selling to people without sounding like you are selling to them, and have been experimenting with some cold email templates with improved (but still very weak) results.

Any recommendations? Tips from a website, copywriter, etc. that got you over the hump and helped you become a lot more successful? Is there a cold email template (or templates) that has helped you convert more clients?

I'm not starving, but I'm not killing it either. Just trying to gather some nuggets of knowledge from those here that get it, and are willing to share.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
    ragnar likes this.
  2. berthier

berthier

Degree:
    eliquid and stymie like this.
  3. stymie

stymie

Degree:
    Thanks bro. I am mainly trying to get better with cold email, but this looks like it might be a great way to get my foot in the door as well. Appreciate it!

4. Steve Brownlie

•  
    •  
    Steve Brownlie Building Links

Degree:
    I wrote this post for Invision about selling through stories/understanding client's stories and that element of the 'sales process':

https://www.invisionapp.com/blog/tell-better-stories/

It's not cold outreach but for your 'semi warm' ones this kind of 'more collaborative' and 'less sales' approach often converts really well. And if nothing else thinking this way should help the way your communications turn out - you won't be trying to close every other sentence when it's too early in the discussion.

eliquid, Jared and stymie like this.
  5. ragnar

ragnar

Degree:
    One thing to understand is who you're dealing with.

Marketing department, CEO, webmaster?

Each have a different mindset. If you're hard selling to your average webmaster/technical dude, many times they're going to see you be "Chad Dudebro" and tune out. I've had good success investing a bit more. What are you offering, have you made the groundwork, checked their site, done research on which keywords they want to rank for, who is their competitor, can you play off their jealousy towards a market leader etc. It's like applying for a job basically, you need to show you can get in their head, identify what they need, not want you want.

stymie likes this.