Trump Broke the Internet. Can Joe Biden Fix It?

Degree
That title is from Wired magazine and is an obvious trolling attempt to trigger you into clicking the link lols.

Actually the topic is much less interesting but extremely relevant for those of you in the States.

https://www.cnet.com/news/biden-beats-trump-heres-what-it-means-for-tech/

Looks like the entire country can prepare for the same privacy laws that ruled out across the EU a few years back and more recently the state of California under Harris.

The question is what do you predict these new privacy laws will look like and what kind of impact you think they will have on how we do business? I found the EU regulations restrictive, cumbersome, and legally obfuscated.

Not to mention the fact that UX has been negatively impacted for those not creative enough to adhere to guidelines while avoiding stupid cookie/privacy/etc. pop ups and slide ends. Remember the good all days before all that trash?

How do you see a new set of nation wide blank style privacy laws affecting our landscape? How would you prepare (esp you vets out there @Ryuzaki @CCarter @stackcash @EyesExist @eliquid

Sorry, my crystal ball is at the repair shop.

Damn. This forum is so negative. "The biggest issue facing tech companies under President Biden will be reforms to antitrust law meant to rein in the biggest tech companies." Good news for Buso! People on here have been complaining about Google for ages.

As for privacy, not sure what article you're referring to but the one you linked to says otherwise. As someone who use market research tools, online privacy would hinder that and UX design but, as a person, I value it. Most people here would agree that they don't want the Government spying on them like a concerned parent. What makes for-profit institutions spying on people any different? Spying on people is still spying on people. Also, at least with the government, they won't sell your data to whoever >_>

"

Online privacy​

Biden didn't say much about data privacy on the campaign trail. During his years as a US senator and as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, however, he introduced and co-sponsored several pieces of legislation to make it easier for the FBI and law enforcement to monitor communications, including the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, which allows law enforcement to surveil communications over the internet, including voice over IP calls and other internet traffic. "

What would "fixing" the internet entail? Some might argue that the real fix would be to reverse all of the changes that have been made in the EU.

In all seriousness, I'm with @stackcash.

We don't even know if Joe Biden is the president yet- lawsuits are pending (but that's another story).

The EU hasn't made a dent in Google or Facebook, @Philip J. Fry, it's just been a lot of high profile fines (which likely won't get paid).

Europeans use Google and Facebook way more than americans. There is practically no competition here. We've been spared some of the no-click SERPs and the heavily monetized inhouse SERPs, but I don't think it is because of regulation, but more to do with lack of local partners and language difficulties.

I would not be optimistic that the Biden presidency would actually do something about Google and the other techs.

If it is to be like in the EU, you can expect threats of anti-trust laws, which will then be turned into various kinds of political censorship instead. That's what happened in Europe, Germany in particular.

@Asad

Ride the money train to whatever destination it takes you in life.

There's always a fine grey space for Astronauts willing to explore.

Given the enormous amount of uncovered fraud, there's such little chance of Biden actually becoming president that this isn't even worth thinking about.

Given the enormous amount of uncovered fraud, there's such little chance of Biden actually becoming president that this isn't even worth thinking about.
I've heard the Trump team calling fraud...but where's the evidence? Someone in the Trump campaign said that fraud was very unlikely in PA...and if it was there, it was so minimal that a recount won't affect the outcome.

Someone in the Trump campaign said that fraud was very unlikely in PA...and if it was there, it was so minimal that a recount won't affect the outcome.

Are you sure that wasn't someone from the Biden campaign?

RealClear took PA off Biden's column last night. The evidence could be staggering as the numbers of witnesses willing to sign sworn affidavits is in the thousands.

Really? Wouldn't that essentially mean "uncalling it" for Biden?
The media wouldn't un-call this election for Biden even if he was dead. With this said, as many have stated all along, Biden is not confirmed as the president, and he never has been.

Back