Trick I Use To Land Some MONSTER Backlinks

Degree
We all want backlinks on monster news sites like CNN, Huffingtonpost, Guardian, etc etc, but how do you acquire it without paying $x,xxx to some guy that has a connect with a reporter on the inside?

What you don't want to do is submit your content to their "Contact Us" page...that won't do crap.

Here's how I've done it successfully.

First, this doesn't really work for all content, it should be reserved for an amazing article or a really nice graphic, photo, etc

Go to the section of the big news site that's related to the content you want to submit, let's say Technology. Every news site has a tech section nowadays.

Look for a similar piece of content to yours that's been published, see what reporter has published it, they usually have a twitter or e-mail listed.

Pitch them your content, easy enough right.

Now all these reporters have Twitter accounts...click on their followers and search this on their followers list...
CTRL + F "niche" (In this case it would be "Technology")
CTRL + F "E-mail" / "Gmail"/
CTRL + F "Writer" / "Editor" / "Contributor"

All these online reporters from these big/small news sites follow each other, usually from the same niche too.

I craft a pitch e-mail to a couple hundred of em'
(this can take hours, I don't automate so it seems personal, I go through the persons submitted stories to find something similar and say "Hey you published this before, are you interested in X?")

I find a lot of smaller news sites that I've never heard of before with decent authority this way too. Usually they bite a lot easier than the big news sites.

You can pitch to 200 people and get 1 link, so it's up to you to determine if it's worth it.

Bonus Tip: Go through a crap load of articles on these big monster sites and look for images without attribution, e-mail the reporter and say "Hey this is my image, I'd like a link to the source please". Kinda shady to do but it's all about them LINKZZZZZZ

That's so dirty, but as long as nobody else is losing a link, I like it. I'd venture to say that we all should crawl for any original graphics and photos we make later on once we've had high visibility for a long time. It's almost guaranteed free links out of fear of being sued or shut down, even if you don't imply it.

Back