Travel niche solely locational or nah?

Degree
I’ve heard mixed opinions about the travel niche as a content site. I’ve heard tons and tons of people preach that in order to succeed with a travel content site you need to only produce content in a particular location and capture authority. But then, I see so many generic travel content sites that have spreading content among a ton of locations around the world and they succeed.

what do you think?

Travel isn't just about location. Audience and topic matter equally strongly.

The same as in any other niche, if you try to start attacking high-competition SERPs with a scattergun approach, weak content and low domain authority, you won't get too far. The reason why people suggest location as a starting point is because it enables you to cut your teeth and see what works (and what doesn't) and because it gives you an easy 'authority' advantage (if you live in and know the place you are writing about).

(It also depends on your business model: affiliate, ads, directory or sales or any mixture.)

The only real opinion you need is the SERPs. Grab a bunch of ranking sites for the types of keywords with respectable volume and slap them in Semrush or Ahrefs and look at their organic traffic levels, their keywords, etc. You'll likely see that they're national or even international. After that, the question is "can I compete?" and it's not necessarily about skill level, but budget level. Can you crank out the content and get the links?

That's for SEO anyways. It's not the only game in town. If you exploit social media and video platforms as well, there's no reason you can't tap into those forms of traffic and marketing, which results in more links and shares, which helps with SEO, and round and round she goes. I'd be looking at this as a "be everywhere at all times" approach if I really wanted to dominate here.

Yes and no. You gotta find product-market-fit for your product and the market. The market is content consumers. The product is content. Sure, you can make a general site about travel and cover everything. You can also go niche with the demographic, psychographic, geographic, etc. You just gotta find the audience and writing style. I've seen both and in many different ways. Luxury travel, luxury women travel, luxury family travel, budget travel, solo travel, hostel reviews globally, local travel guide for your home town, etc.

Back