Transferred a domain to a new registrar and now it exists at both & I had to renew at both

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
Degree
Kind of a goofy situation . . .

I transferred a domain to Cloudflare's new registrar a couple of weeks back. Everything seemed to go okay -- the domain's listed under Cloudflare with an expiration date of 2023. Good stuff.

The problem is, despite the transfer seemingly going okay, the domain is also still listed under its old registrar, which I've been invoiced to renew with them (and have since done).

So: One domain. Showing in two registrars. Both paid. Both showing an expiration date of 2023.

We all know how important domain security is, so I'm getting a little nervous by the confusion of the situation.

Is this something that will "work itself out" in time, or has there probably been a screw up somewhere?

Thanks, fellas.

The problem is, despite the transfer seemingly going okay, the domain is also still listed under its old registrar, which I've been invoiced to renew with them (and have since done).

So: One domain. Showing in two registrars. Both paid. Both showing an expiration date of 2023.
1. Here you can see where it is at according to the main registry:
https://www.internic.net/403/302/whois.html

2. My guess is that the old registrar is not up to date with the situation - you can contact their support and inform that the domain has been transferred away to another registrar already (check using the step 1.).

This is weird, haven't heard of this happening before.

When I transfer names out of certain registrars, they'll keep it "listed" there but without any of the usual options to control the domain, sort of a ghost like "This name used to be here, you can transfer it back if you'd like to," but I've never seent 'em listed in two places with full controls and such.

Super curious to hear how this works, but I would definitely reach out to both registrars rather than seeing if it sorts itself out. Please update when this is resolved.

Back