Introductions Thread

My goal is to grow the traffic & authority first, and think about monetisation later
I would say that you should do this the other way around. By knowing exactly how you intend to monetize (researching what will work better or worse like the ad blocker scenario), you can begin crafting your site and your audience with that monetization method in mind.

If you intend to sell a series of shorter, cheaper lessons e-books or if you want to have a some kind of course, that will inform you of the type of content you'll want to be publishing so you attract the right audience that will purchase that kind of thing.

All the traffic in the world means nothing if it's worth little to you. I suggest knowing what your "conversion" is for a user at the bottom of your funnel, which is usually monetization, and then working backwards from there up the funnel to more generalized actions and interests.

As the subject states, i've been lurking here for a while now, ever since I came across a glorious 7 figure exit AMA from MrMedia.

It's all high-quality discussion and I thought it was time to graduate from blackhatworld ha.

I've been doing SEO on/off for the last 8 years. I also do lots of AdWords (PPC) and social media marketing to generate revenue online. Work for myself full-time.

Hello world!

Welcome to the board. Are you really good at PPC? Finding targets and scaling? Ecomm?

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie around here. Stumbled upon BuSo in a YouTube video and thought I should give it a try

I hope to learn stuff about pushing my little side projects further and monetize it better.

Cheers,
Spek!

Hey @spekulatius, welcome aboard. What YouTube channel did you find us on, if you remember? What kind of projects are you working on?

-----

Welcome, @emerge, glad to have you around.

8 years is a long time, that puts you in the veteran category, especially with you having attained the status of "full-time for myself".

I bet you have some the same thoughts a lot of us do: I've been doing this since the very late 90's and once a year I always think "damn, if I hadn't spammed some of those early sites and kept them around I'd be a billionaire by now." Then I snap back to reality because the earliest ones were Geocities and Angelfire sites anyways. A couple years later I got into the real deal of site building. I still have some of the domains but they've been out of the index for long enough that they might as well be brand new. Oh well!

I hope you'll stick around and keep posting with us. I look forward to siphoning off your vast wealth of knowledge and sharing back with you all the same!

Hello all, its a pleasure to be able to be apart of this community - lots of valuable information here as I've been looking through some of the threads.

With that being said, I want to come here to make my first post in regards to the new journey I will be embarking on in the business coaching/consulting route. I am graduating school within the next month and I have no jobs lined up so I figured this is my opportunity to start my own online business after a few small endeavors in the past. During school, I helped start a crypto based firm that lasted for about a year and did not work out in the end as well as starting a copywriting agency with little success. I recently found out how the business coaching route works and it is my calling without a doubt. I love to motivate people and help them work through their issues and I love interacting with people.

This post will act as my public commitment to make this business profitable within the next 3-4 months. I want to be held as accountable as possible and will be checking back with progress updates on a bi-weekly basis.

Thank you for the read and drop any comments/thoughts you have that you think will help me in any fashion

Welcome @morpheusbrah. Glad to have you.

Here's the question that your potential clients will ask you: "What successes have you had that make you a worthy business coach? What are your successful businesses?"

What will your answer be? You'll want to have answers memorized and ready to roll off your tongue, because the questions will come. I worry that "a crypto firm that lasted around a year, and a failed copywriting agency" isn't going to cut it.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I'm just thinking that that would be the first question I ask. I wouldn't even ask you. I'd be looking for that info on your website before I even reached out to you.

Welcome @morpheusbrah. Glad to have you.

Here's the question that your potential clients will ask you: "What successes have you had that make you a worthy business coach? What are your successful businesses?"

What will your answer be? You'll want to have answers memorized and ready to roll off your tongue, because the questions will come. I worry that "a crypto firm that lasted around a year, and a failed copywriting agency" isn't going to cut it.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I'm just thinking that that would be the first question I ask. I wouldn't even ask you. I'd be looking for that info on your website before I even reached out to you.
Thank you for this, it's an obvious point you bring to the table. I suggest you mean that I get my skills up and W's in other endeavors before entering into something like this?

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes you need wins before you tell others how to get wins. It’s called experience. You’re just starting - go get wins and experience on your own for a while. Once you do, then you can reliably lend a hand to help others.

Kudos to having the balls to post this on a forum. You just beat 80% of people out there simply by putting a vision out there in writing. But coaching/mentoring/consulting comes after the successes (unless you’re into MLM snake oil garbage... if that’s the case just fake it till you make it then steal your clients ideas).

Hi there - more of a lurker than contributor here but I finally thought it's time to step out of the hiding places.

Been in SEO for around 10 years with various success and failures. Started with finding myself in charge of SEO for a Online Flower business around 10 years ago and then moved on to various affiliate sites of my own. Some successful, some not.

Nowadays, I'm running a few sites to pay the bills. I do miss the days of UAW and TBS though...

Unique Article Wizard and The Best Spinner. AMR? Those were not the days. I am thankful that quality is more important now. What kind of sites do you run?

Unique Article Wizard and The Best Spinner. AMR? Those were not the days. I am thankful that quality is more important now. What kind of sites do you run?

I was trying to be sarcastic. Yes, quality is better nowadays. No doubt about it.

Mostly Amazon Affiliate, other affiliate networks, and some ads mixed in across a variety of niches.

Hey @Ryuzaki,

sorry for the late reply - I didn't get any notification (maybe something I have to switch on?).

Yeah, I sure do remember: It was Passive Priority by a BuSo member. The video mentioned a very well articulated response of yourself. That was the moment I thought I should give it a try and see for myself. I would have to check which video it was exactly, but it was one of the more recent ones for sure.

Cheers!

Ah, the latest one:
- from minute 20 roughly.

Hello everyone,

My name is Pablo (felotus), I'm new to the Builder Society community.

I'm running a few content websites and e-Commerce brands and am joining the community to share some of what we learn while growing those websites and read more of the grat stuff we've seen on the forum.

I have a team with me, we're based in London and we buy pretty much any kind of digital assets in the 100k$ - 5m$ range.

My background is in software engineering, so I hope I can contribute to the DevOps section!

-----

Hey man, good to see a fellow dev on the forum! Did you study CS?

It's a crowded space out there, is there a niche or sub-niche that you want to focus on (e.g. talk mainly about how to write themes/plugins for Shopify)?

I've also seen a lot of money being made in enterprise plugins, if you go on the Atlassian marketplace for stuff like Confluence/JIRA, you'll see a lot of low-quality plugins with thousands of installations, each bringing the original dev 10-25$ a month (quickly racks up to 20-30k$ a month).

Hey Pablo and welcome,

Are you the owner of the company that buys these digital assets or do you work for them?

Hey Pablo and welcome,

Are you the owner of the company that buys these digital assets or do you work for them?
Hi Bernard, thank you for your message. I am the co-founder, we've raised a bunch of money from external passive investors. I've actually heard about builder society from a member who sold his website to us through a broker.

Hi Bernard, thank you for your message. I am the co-founder, we've raised a bunch of money from external passive investors. I've actually heard about builder society from a member who sold his website to us through a broker.
Cool, I'm always interested in the development of digital asset management space. I really see a future for digital assets with all the money in the economy and the TINA mindset.

What do you mean by digital assets? That's pretty general - it could be anything from an AI company to buying Instagram accounts!

I know an acquittance who is currently pitching to some angel Investors. Started his company back in November - It's a fintech / remittance company. They are based in Mexico. Let me know if you are interested in connecting you with them.

What do you mean by digital assets? That's pretty general - it could be anything from an AI company to buying Instagram accounts!

I know an acquittance who is currently pitching to some angel Investors. Started his company back in November - It's a fintech / remittance company. They are based in Mexico. Let me know if you are interested in connecting you with them.
Hey man, that sounds amazing! Mexico's the hot spot in LatAm these days. I didn't want to make my post an ad for what we do, but we really acquire the asset, not really interested in investing in it. However, there are plenty of VCs and family offices with LatAm focus, he'll find the money if he has some traction and a MVP.

Hello everyone,

My name is Pablo (felotus), I'm new to the Builder Society community.

I'm running a few content websites and e-Commerce brands and am joining the community to share some of what we learn while growing those websites and read more of the grat stuff we've seen on the forum.

I have a team with me, we're based in London and we buy pretty much any kind of digital assets in the 100k$ - 5m$ range.

My background is in software engineering, so I hope I can contribute to the DevOps section!

Hey Pablo,

Great to have you in the community. I am sure we would all love to have your insight on our projects and general stuff. Anyway, I had some questions.

Is your company similar to Onfolio? (I have no affiliation with them)

What kind of content site projects do you typically acquire? What makes them desirable to you as a buyer?

Do you acquire mostly using brokerages?

What kind of investors do you typically see investing in these websites? People who have some sort of digital background or just random rich people?

How do the dividends from investing in these digital assets compare to other forms of investments? Are these viewed as stable assets by investors?

Hey man,

Is your company similar to Onfolio? (I have no affiliation with them)
These guys look a bit scammy, so I'd rather not comment :wink:

What kind of content site projects do you typically acquire? What makes them desirable to you as a buyer?
For content websites, what we typically look for is:
  • Someone (or someone who has hired someone) who's been passionately writing about an industry for years and has done hands on review of the product.
  • Preferably, has done little work around SEO, yet still ranks well because of content quality/organic backlinks.
    • Our view is that SEO is really expensive and complex, so single-owner operated digital assets will typically do bad SEO (guest posts, mass outreach, paying for links, PBNs, etc.)
  • Preferably, a niche or industry where we can build additional brands around it, or where our existing brands/websites could benefit from it.
    • An example of that is a mattress review website that we bought, we widened the editorial focus on "sleeping well" rather than just mattress reviews, you can easily see what can be done in that space: food supplement to sleep better, app development to track your sleep, etc.
There's a lot more, but I'd say these are the key issues we typically see. We don't really look at metrics such as DR as they're very easy to fake.

There's also a human preference with some buyers, the guys who are nice and open about what they do, even if we don't buy their website we stay in touch regularly and try to see if there's anything we can work together on in the future. One ex-owner became a friend and we flew him to Dubaï to company gathering to hangout for a few days. Like most humans, we don't like the angry arrogant ones.

Do you acquire mostly using brokerages?

We talk to around 10-20 brokers, so we see ~30-40 deals a week, we also do outreach when we see a nice website that we like and there's some word of mouth that's starting to work out, where some owners that we acquired from talk to their friends about us.

Our preference is not to work with brokers as their fees are high and they give us headaches more often than not.

What kind of investors do you typically see investing in these websites? People who have some sort of digital background or just random rich people?

How do the dividends from investing in these digital assets compare to other forms of investments? Are these viewed as stable assets by investors?

Investor wise, I can't comment too much. We're backed by institutional-type investors (e.g. $5m minimum), which is a very different game than guys who promise an annual dividend etc.

Last edited:
Hey, good to meet you! Have any of the sites in your portfolio been positively or negatively affected by the recent Product Reviews update? Noticing any patterns? My site has lost 70% of its traffic so working hard to recover!

Hey, good to meet you! Have any of the sites in your portfolio been positively or negatively affected by the recent Product Reviews update? Noticing any patterns? My site has lost 70% of its traffic so working hard to recover!
Nope, sorry to hear :(

Hey guys, I'm happy I found this place and am excited to join the discussion. I'm in a few online marketing FB groups but the quality really does not compare.

To give more background on myself, I have a lot of experience in digital marketing in the corporate world but am still a newbie to this authority website model. I've been working on my site for two years intermittently with intermittent growth.

When I got sick of my dayjob at the end of last year, I decided to quit and give this online business thing a serious shot. I have about a year's left worth of savings to figure this thing out, so I'll be going full steam ahead until I can't anymore.

Right now, I'm barely scratching four figures monthly thru affiliate revenue. I've dedicated the last few months to content and have finally found a good writer and got a process down for publishing consistently. My efforts lately have turned towards link building which I think is the missing piece (?) that can help me reach my timeline. But I'm not sure.

Hoping to make some revelations here with you all and contribute where I can.

Back