Tips on building a directory?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Just wondering if anyone has any tips in regards to building a directory website

One tip: Think twice before you do it because unless you can add a lot of unique value you'll face a true uphill battle to get visitors without paying for ads - and if you pay for them, you'll need a really well optimized lander to get enough EPC.

I used to run directories years ago and because they were mainly just same info available elsewhere SERPs dropped steadily - in the end I just sold them to get out while they still had some value.

You need to find untapped niches and go in hard, as the @Anton @ Uberaff says, you will need content.
My main site is a directory, but I'm adding a lot of extra value on top of just a directory, also looking to have mobile apps built.

People that say they are dead you don't need to listen to, they just don't know how to build them out properly.

AirBnB is a directory at the end of the day, they just bolted a booking engine on to the back of their site!

I'm following @CCarter 's Big Brand post for my directory.

You need to find untapped niches and go in hard, as the @Anton @ Uberaff says, you will need content.
My main site is a directory, but I'm adding a lot of extra value on top of just a directory, also looking to have mobile apps built.

People that say they are dead you don't need to listen to, they just don't know how to build them out properly.

AirBnB is a directory at the end of the day, they just bolted a booking engine on to the back of their site!

I'm following @CCarter 's Big Brand post for my directory.
Thanks for the reply man

I was curious in the beginning how would one get a few people to list on your site? I think this will the major hurdle

If you are looking for a flexible dev solution for this type of site wp-types.com, this is based on wordpress but a nice if you are not programer but want power.

Thanks for the reply man

I was curious in the beginning how would one get a few people to list on your site? I think this will the major hurdle
The way I am doing things is either buying business data or paying for a researcher on Odesk.

Then on my site I have a "claim listing" badge where the actual businesses listings.

I will be emailing them over time to encourage them to claim their listing.

Once I have finished cleaning up my data, I will have over 30,000 businesses listed in my niche making me by far and away the most comprehensive directory in my niche. I should add that I am not just a directory, but for the purposes of this conversation that is how it is.

@builttodominate Feel free to drop me a PM if you wanna bounce ideas around.

Cheers

One other thing I forgot to add, build it out geographically so that there is a page for every location / neighbourhood you can think of.

I have three websites with directories, one of which is entirely directory based. Before being penalized, they all did very well pulling down long-tail searches (with high intent and high value). Very profitable.

I'm actually in the process of returning them to the good graces of Google, after which I intend to add more content to each page of the directories, let them simmer and see what happens, and then flip. They are making enough money to become a handsome liquidation.

The main key is knowing how to make them without it being trash that Panda is going to destroy. Think about things like tying into the Google Maps API, auto-uploading your data from a CSV, mass-dumping images you had sourced and resized and optimized by a VA, having Ad-lib statements about the statistics of each state/city/country/etc, and having 200-500 words of true content on each page as well. There are ways to make these pages so valuable that you basically auto-rank once your domain has some power behind it. Don't fall into the trap of trying to get links to each directory page. You won't find enough high quality links, and will end up getting penalized (like I did). Patience is the key on these if you build the directory well enough. Time will take care of it for you. Everyone wants to automate and auto-scrape build these sites. Give it some love and it's an easy win.

^ I had a few anti Panda ideas, I will share a few here....
1. Non paid listings, on these I will include snippets of other listings, also will pull in my blog posts and my twitter feed. This is a win - win as business owners do not want to share their listing with competitors, when they upgrade they add a lot more useful content.

2. Use TripAdvisor model, I'm going big on making my site a a big brand, I'm also making a it a "utility", ie making it super helpful, so I am building in as much review technology as I can.

3. Accept Panda exists, it is a lot easier to deal with from the start-up angle and i'm also gonna be traffick leaking as much as possible, so I care less about it anyway.

I currently have a client who is in the directory business. I see the writing on the wall and have tried to steer him towards a different business model. He is making money hand over fist now and cannot see the forest for the trees. The best directory I've seen is http://communityseo.com If you are thinking of a directory in an industry that Google Local results dominates forget it.

If you are looking for a flexible dev solution for this type of site wp-types.com, this is based on wordpress but a nice if you are not programer but want power.
I second this. You can do a good amount of powerful stuff with wp-types. I've even built my own review systems with this plugin set.

I have a ton of tips and info on the topic. But I think you should elaborate on your own goals, ideas, and plan if you want some real help out of this.

IMO - "tips on building a directory website, discuss" is pretty vague

Back