Thoughts on selling templates?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
This is something I've wanted to do for a while, I've always enjoyed coding websites more than anything else. So I was thinking of coding some modular templates that make it easy to build websites. Maybe making custom Gutenberg blocks etc

Thoughts?

Good idea, do it up

Who doesn't love them some nice Gutenberg blocks?

Maybe you can make something useful for this community and sell it here.

Product comparison tables, blocks to make nice listicles, etc...

Thoughts?

I hope you also enjoy constant on-going maintenance of your ever growing library as well as constant on-going customer support from complete neanderthals that will be asking you questions that have nothing to do with your library and expecting you to answer them.

Those are just normal hurdles to get over like any type of business has. But they're the ones that have stopped me from ever pursuing something along the lines you're talking about. I think it could be lucrative, though.

I hope you also enjoy constant on-going maintenance of your ever growing library as well as constant on-going customer support from complete neanderthals that will be asking you questions that have nothing to do with your library and expecting you to answer them.

Those are just normal hurdles to get over like any type of business has. But they're the ones that have stopped me from ever pursuing something along the lines you're talking about. I think it could be lucrative, though.
I was actually thinking about that, I think the maintenance part isn't too much of a concern (if the library has the correct architecture), but rather the customer service aspect. I suppose it also depends on your type of market, selling to other devs vs selling to non coders.

I don't know much about Wordpress development, but react/nextjs might be a place to start for me while I learn Wordpress.

Edit: Oh it seems you might be able to make blocks with react? Interesting

I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing. I’d like to be able to sell products instead of services, and I think the customer support aspect would be about the same, customer intelligence-wise.

The difference is you can fire clients, but it’s a lot tougher firing customers on a marketplace with a review system.

Ultimately, both angles come down to the same thing: managing expectations effectively.

Speed is the big thing here.

No one seems to have been able to come up with a good solution to page builders being slow.

Speed is the big thing here.

No one seems to have been able to come up with a good solution to page builders being slow.
True.

When you refer to a page builder, are you talking about building a theme from scratch like elementor, or laying out posts/pages?

True.

When you refer to a page builder, are you talking about building a theme from scratch like elementor, or laying out posts/pages?

Elementor mostly.

I don't use Gutenberg, because I don't like the design choices they've made. Like hiding the container lines and weird decisions like not having an image be in the default suggestions.

Back