Thoughts on Grav CMS?

Nat

Degree
I'm trying to stay away from Wordpress and flat file cms is really appealing. Has anyone used Grav? It seems to be slower than Pico/Phile but offer quite a bit more support and plugins.

A lot of people love grav. I'd recommend that you just give it a shot on a small site and see what you think. Then do the same with Pico or whatever else lands on your radar.

None is perfect but there's the perfect one for you. You'll have to try a few to see which you like best.

I have really started hating WP for a minute, and started using Grav on a New build. Its great, fast, fun and easy to use...but super limited, so I'am going back to WP until a better option comes along.

If you have never used Grav get it. You can take the basic theme and tweak it to perfection. But once you start to get into added functionality, you will see how limited it is.

I have really started hating WP for a minute, and started using Grav on a New build. Its great, fast, fun and easy to use...but super limited, so I'am going back to WP until a better option comes along.

If you have never used Grav get it. You can take the basic theme and tweak it to perfection. But once you start to get into added functionality, you will see how limited it is.

This sounds about right... I want to be able to add other authors, and the only way to add 'Contributors' or 'Authors' is to give them full permissions to edit every single page of content.

Grav is cool, you have some different options there, but it call for work with terminal

"You can easily add other users but it requires a bit of work in the terminal/command prompt to do. From your terminal, access the root of the Grav site you'd like to add users to, and type the following command:

bin/plugin login newuser
faq_1.png

This will initiate a series of prompts to guide you through the creation of a new user. These include creating a user name, password, email address, and setting the new user's permissions level."

https://learn.getgrav.org/admin-panel/faq

Grav is cool, you have some different options there, but it call for work with terminal

"You can easily add other users but it requires a bit of work in the terminal/command prompt to do. From your terminal, access the root of the Grav site you'd like to add users to, and type the following command:

bin/plugin login newuser
faq_1.png

This will initiate a series of prompts to guide you through the creation of a new user. These include creating a user name, password, email address, and setting the new user's permissions level."

https://learn.getgrav.org/admin-panel/faq

Yeah... that's correct. But there is no way (that I've found) to add 'Authors' or 'Contributors' like in WP. To have any privileges the user needs to be an admin. You can restrict an admin user to only have page permissions... but they still have access to do anything they want with pages. I've read everything I can find but there is no way to allow a user to create pages and also deny them the ability to edit every page.

Also, you can pretty easily add users without needing to use the command prompt. Just create a new file in users. File name is the username and then just add info in the file.

I have, good stuff. I actually talked about it about half a year ago. Grav is good, but may be confusing at first if you are just getting into development.

I don't know what your site requirements are, but if it is a basic business website that needs to have a landing page, about, contact etc take a look into Jekyll. It is a static site generator, a breeze to develop for and super simple to deploy both to a VPS or shared hosting, as it generates a whole bunch of static html, css, js files and serves them.

Also, the reason why Jekyll is the most popular static site generator is because it is strong in the blogging area, too. Give it a go. If you have any questions ask I'll be glad to help out, as I've got quite a bit of experience with WP, GravCMS, Jekyll and a few more..

Managed by ServerPilot! When my current bunch of websites start paying off, I'll definitely get my code on on this.

If you need a database, it's probably best to use one. I wouldn't use flat file on any site I thought was going to be pretty large with several authors, etc. Especially if I intended to sell the site, I'd use Wordpress, Drupal, Etc. For a small static site I'd probably not even use a CMS. You can write the HTML and CSS and use PHP to call the headers, footers, and sidebars. That will be really fast, or you can get even faster by copying and pasting those "modules" into each page. 1 index.html request per page

Back