This article has me shaking my head...

emp

BuSo Pro
Degree
So, this was quoted on reddit
http://www.cameronalcorn.com/what-c...me-about-small-business-web-design-inquiries/

Having done / doing some freelance web development work every now and then, I am just shaking my head.

To break it down, the general tone of the article is kinda meh...
He gets a huge range of quotes (which is more likely to there being very huge / expensive agencies in the mix) and does not like the way some handle it... big deal.

But this chart, THIS chart.... 0_o

pie-chart.jpg

So he send a request to 25 agencies, this wording:
Hello,

Just to give you a brief introduction, my name is Carl. I’m a photographer from the San Francisco Bay area.

Today, I’m requesting your services in the development of a website. Here are the specifications:

1. I need you to register the domain: carlsmithphotography.net
  2. The site will consist of 4 pages
  3. The website needs to be responsive (e.g. ready for mobile devices)
  4. I need a custom email address, along with the site
  5. Set up Google Analytics on the site (Just put the code on the site. I can handle the dashboard later)
Attached, you’ll find the designs.

Before we begin, I would like an estimate for how much this will cost, overall. In addition, if you can breakdown the cost of each item that is on my list of specifications for me, that would be amazing.

Thanks,
Carl

And of 25 agencies, 10 did not even send an email back?
Talk about leaving money on the table.

So again, this quote rings true:
“The world is run by those who show up.”
-unkown

::emp::

People man.

I did web design for many years, freelance and prior to that as an agency cog. Being that I live in the land of the pound sterling, a lot of those more tech-savvy clients from the States that I liked to work with would have had an e-mail back within 10 hours guaranteed.

In fact most often for small sites like that I used to charge $500.00 max.

I also would rarely if ever give a fixed price like that, I'd break it down into deliverables and make sure that they knew they could trim the scope as they saw fit... Let's say they didn't ask for content, I'd add that onto the proposal as 'extras'.

Kind of annoying really because I find it pretty hard to get web design work from anyone over the pond these days.

If I had an agency over there I wouldn't just be showing up, I'd be cleaning up...

Reactions: emp
Same problem here, a lot of the people/companies I contact for design/build work either never respond or send one email and then never follow up. It's annoying and mystifying at the same time. Do these people not want to make money!?

That being said I need a dev to finish off a site that my developer is taking far too much time on. Mysql db and some other stuff. Anyone here looking for work?

either never respond or send one email and then never follow up. It's annoying and mystifying at the same time. Do these people not want to make money!?

Generally, I find a lot of the decent freelance web designers are pot smoking time wasters.

The most efficient and cost effective are usually the Asian outsourcers, but often too generic designs to get anything "proper" built, and communication can be a nightmare.

Which then makes you lean towards a "company" that will take your eyes out with price.

If you find a good, competent designer, who is fast, efficient and cheap.. treat them well IMO.

If you find a good, competent designer, who is fast, efficient and cheap.. treat them well IMO.

That describes me, except I didn't get treated too nice... I think what you charge is quite often tied to how much your worth. If you're not valued as being worth a lot, people don't care about treating you well.

I think that has a lot to do with the fact I more often than not worked with clueless businesses taking their first or second stab at going online...

It was always better when I got to work with other marketers really so if anyone in the building is ever looking for someone who can do a professional job for a reasonable price and you know how to communicate what you want well, then I'm all game for taking on a few design projects a month.

The bottom line for paying less with a freelance designer is ensuring that you know how to communicate what you want properly the first time round... If you don't then you absolutely will put them through the ringer. They end up losing money and thus won't ever be coming back, which means you end up losing a good designer putting you back at square one for your next project.

Same problem here, a lot of the people/companies I contact for design/build work either never respond or send one email and then never follow up. It's annoying and mystifying at the same time. Do these people not want to make money!?

That being said I need a dev to finish off a site that my developer is taking far too much time on. Mysql db and some other stuff. Anyone here looking for work?
Happy to help with any LAMP stack dev

Back