This analytics spam is getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by animalstyle, Dec 11, 2016.

1. animalstyle

•  
    animalstyle

Degree:
    And it's really a pain in the ass with a new site where all your metrics are low. I know you can filter it but I haven't spent the time doing it. That is all.

Magister, built, Nat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kris

Kris

Degree:
    Agreed, you get excited that you've got a new source of traffic and it ends up being spam.

3. GrandMaster

GrandMaster

Degree:
    A long time ago I was convinced of switching to Piwik to get off of Google and self-host my data. You never have a problem with analytics spam that way.

ragnar and coopreme like this.
  4. animalstyle

•  
    animalstyle

Degree:
    @GrandMaster that is something I'd consider at this point. Thanks for the idea

5. ryandiscord

ryandiscord

Degree:
    Set up a filter in Google Analytics that only includes your known hostname. The latest wave of referral spam can use your hostname as "example.com" (without the www) so if you have your site resides only on the www version, you can create a hostname filter for "www.example.com". Note: this probably will cause issues if you are also using the same tracking script on a sub domain.

6. coopreme

coopreme try hard

Degree:
    i love piwik. i haven't figured out how to dial in as much like i can with GA but overall it give a great picture of your traffic. plus you can get detail down to the visitors IP - this is useful if you are pairing with mautic to track behavior of traffic and potential leads.

ryandiscord likes this.
  7. ryandiscord

ryandiscord

Degree:
    That's really cool. Would it be unreasonable to run piwik and GA at the same time?

8. coopreme

coopreme try hard

Degree:
    I do it for one of my sites, just to test it... no issues so far. I like to see how each platform measures traffic, bounces, etc.

ryandiscord likes this.
  9. Dreo

•  
    Dreo

Degree:
  10. CHARTO911

CHARTO911

Degree:
    Totally crazy and out of hand. Really annoying.

11. ragnar

ragnar

Degree:
    Yes, as good a time as many to switch to some other provider, since GA essentially has fucked webmasters over with their not-provided bs. Only issue is that most buyers of sites want GA data not from some other party.

12. ryandiscord

ryandiscord

Degree:
    The not provided issue isn't with GA, it's with Google encrypting their searches. Bing and Yahoo have also done the same thing. Unfortunately switching providers wouldn't resolve that. There are some clever ways you can use search console to fill in the blanks though.

animalstyle likes this.
  13. ragnar

ragnar

Degree:
    True, but then you wouldn't support the company which made these changes. They don't even bother doing anything about referral spam.

ryandiscord likes this.
  14. ryandiscord

ryandiscord

Degree:
    True, fair enough. You would think at the very least they would want to fix the ghost referral caused by an exploit in their own system.