The Headphones Thread

Degree
I just bought a pair of "audiophile" headphones that were way more money than I've ever worn on my head before but SO WORTH IT.

So I wanted to start a headphone thread to post songs that sound awesome in headphones, to share reviews and ask for recommendations, all that good stuff...

I'm not a huge fan of her music, but this song sounds AWESOME with a killer set of cans.

Damn, too late to edit, but I should have mentioned that I got the Sennheiser HD 558's.

OOOOO <3

This is relevant to my interests!! (Haha I'm learning to fit in on forums :tongue:)

I broke my ipod headphones today and I need new ones. I want the little ones that go right in your ear...

I was just going to buy another pair of ipod headphones but I realized I can probably get something a lot better if I buy some that aren't given away for free all the time.

Any suggestions? Under $100 please... I don't want to spend my entire month's ad revenue on them hehe

I've used the AKG K240's for years and they sound great to me. Back in '93 or so I was doing some session work on guitar for a local artist and the K240's were the only headphones they used at the particular studio I was at. I spent a lot of time listening to playbacks on them and that's when I really realized the difference good headphones make. Needless to say I went out the next day and picked up a pair for about $100 or so. They still sound as good as when I bought them.

The in-ear kind are OK for running around or something, but there's no way you're going to get good bass response out of them or even decent low-mids for that matter. Small headphones just can't move enough air to produce solid bass frequencies.

Sennheiser HD280's here! I'm not a big audio person but I wanted an affordable but nice pair of "circumaural" headphones. The kind that sit OVER and AROUND your ear to block out other sounds completely. No open back. Worked out nicely. I've had them for almost a decade. They have a lil black electrical tape on them to keep some cracks from cracking further. Otherwise they've held up fine. 10 years with one set of headphones is a huge money saver.

This makes me want to get a new pair too haha

Builder Society should set up an Amazon link so that we can make sure someone gets credit when we buy stuff :smile: I think that's an easy way to support the forum. Maybe it can be used for giveaways or contests or something too? I should put this in the suggestion thread... *runs off*

I've had several different types of headphones throughout the latest 5 yrs of working a desk job-
Bose, Sennheiser's, Apple crap, Westone's UM3x in-ear Triple driver headphones, skull candy, etc etc

my thoughts on expensive are mixed - Bose are not good. IMO, they are terrible. They stopped working on me completely within a year. They were $130 and i felt ripped off after only using them for one year.

I then bought some Sennheisers CX400 II - these were comparable to the Westone UM3x's that I bought for $500. great bass, good quality sound for a relatively good price-point. I still use the Sennheiser's to this day and recently sold off the Westone IEM's for half the price i bought them for.

I root for Sennheiser, although I'm not familiar to the HD280's, but i stand behind there brand from experience and actual everyday use.

Got a Bose ie2 for the gym and a quietcomfort 25 for movies. I know the "no highs no lows thats Bose " but I just find the ie2s very very comfortable .

Personally, I need a bit more portability than full fledged headphones (or cans as audiophiles call them). I bought klipsch X10's for about $130 a while back and never regretted it.

For people interested in getting decent sound without paying the price, I can't recommend Monoprice enough. They make high quality headphones and sell them near wholesale prices. They aren't better than audiophile stuff, but you can't beat the value.

Any recommendations for a set of wireless bluetooth headphones? I want something for the gym that won't fall off and that I can sync up to my phone or tablet with bluetooth

welp... starting to feel like beats were a bad choice.

Do you want to test your headphones check these :

Here is an extra soundtrack to check how your bass act in your headphones:

I had read recently that to really enjoy reference quality headphones, you want to have a headphone amplifier to appreciate things. From what I've seen they go for $50 to $1,000. A few that seem to be decent are Creek OBH-21, Burson Soloist,
As for headphones, the first good pair I had was sennheiser. Bose are alright but it's 'colored'. Beyerdynamic T1 or T5P are great. I'd love to have a pair of Stax SR-009 but not willing to shell out $5K.
If you're into headphones this article on 9 of the World’s Most Outrageously Expensive Headphones might be of interest.

Give these a try to test your headphones...

Back