Testing different content

Nat

Degree
As some of you know, I've been outsourcing some content. I received content from 4 writers. I love getting to see different people's writing styles. But WOW can 4 people write differently....

One girl went above and beyond on what I thought would be a boring piece (academic informational), and then delivered garbage on a product review/comparison she really didn't want to write.

Another writer tasked with the same product review created a piece that was funny, filled with personality, and still concise. I'll add some buttons and images, but I don't think I'm gonna touch it.

I found a guy looking for work who wasn't really in my niche, but was motivated for work. I gave him a best product list style article that was built around an activity. He has a background in science fiction writing, creative writing. He went 3x over word length for free because he was 'enjoying' it, and gave me a freaking literary work of art. Like, way more content than I think most people want to read. Technically I would say it's full of "fluff," but it isn't that boring useless garbage fluff you see in school or from cheap writers, it sounds like the author is really enjoying writing.

This last guy is what got me thinking... based on the search intent for the keyword, I don't think people are going to really want to read all of his descriptions. But some people will really appreciate his effort, style, literary structures... I am assuming most people would want it condensed though... do I make an educated guess based on the other search results pages of the style of content? Do I post his full article and then try to monitor user behavior on the page if it starts ranking?

Because removing large amounts of content seems to normally have some type of effect on your search ranking, it's not like I can split test...? Thoughts?

I don't know if this is right but I will tend to use the entire content but add helpful subheadings for those who want to scan read or highlight certain bits as well. If someone has written lots and it sounds like they know what they are talking about I think that is something to keep and put on impressionable readers. Another possibility is to have a summary bit.

I have had similar experience with content - some people also make English REALLY hard work to read (I am talking about those whose first language it is as well). They make it too "wordy" and its a real pain to read. It also makes it impossible to edit too because of this - much easier to start from scratch - I have a couple of these articles still sitting in draft because I haven't got round to dealing with them yet. Never hire them again though.

Who are you using for content and how much are you paying?

Who are you using for content and how much are you paying?

1 on 1 with freelancers. I have connections with several "experts" I want to eventually task with almost all of the experience-based niche information. I've been testing out several additional freelancers for other content that is time consuming for me to create (like the last guy in OP). So far the fees vary based on the person's experience and the type of content. I haven't purchased a ton of content. On average, I've been purchasing in the range of $20 per 1,000 words.

One big motivation for outsourcing and searching for 1 on 1 was to find some people that can provide value I can't. I've been thinking a lot about value recently.

Back