Talk to me about Beacon technology

It might help if you give us a little more about what you are talking about. What's Beacon technology? And perhaps some links explaining things. Not everyone may know what you are talking about, I certainly don't.

This is getting into that Minority Report level of advertising that's a natural extension of all these crazy databases of information.

The idea is hyper-personalized targeting for retail instead of just online. It works just like "bumping iPhones" to transfer contacts. It's over short-wave blue tooth to make sure it's only hitting the right people and not being intercepted by the wrong phones.

For instance... let's say you signed up for a Kroger card because it's free and if you don't use it you have to pay extra for each item you buy. What's happening is Kroger is recording everything you buy and building a profile for you so they can push you specific coupons, etc. But that's not all.

They're turning around and selling that data to other companies, who are also buying data from other companies, until finally there's a ridiculously accurate and invasive buyer-profile built around you.

So you're at the mall walking around and Coca-Cola bought data from Kroger that knows you're number is associated with the guy who keeps buying 48 two-liters per week of Diet Coke. You walk by a Coke vending machine and suddenly your phone goes off with a notification to let you know a delicious ice-cold Diet Coke can be had within 10 seconds right next to you!

Of course that's the future. Currently it's like "Hey, welcome to Cosco, I love you. Make sure you check out Aisle 172 where we have all of our current clearance and sale items!"

Maybe you're at a restaurant and you've been seated at table 4 in section 3. Your phone gets a notification to let you know that it'll be 5 more minutes before your piping hot meal is on your table. Thanks for your patience. By the way, check out the desert menu.

Ultimately we'll be walking around with our Augmented Reality contact lenses. Every billboard and poster will be blank, and advertisers will bid for the chance to make their impression on you based on this data. The blank screen will populate itself with the winning advertisement that's hyper-personalized for you. It'll likely speak your name to get your attention, etc.

This is getting into that Minority Report level of advertising that's a natural extension of all these crazy databases of information.

The idea is hyper-personalized targeting for retail instead of just online. It works just like "bumping iPhones" to transfer contacts. It's over short-wave blue tooth to make sure it's only hitting the right people and not being intercepted by the wrong phones.

For instance... let's say you signed up for a Kroger card because it's free and if you don't use it you have to pay extra for each item you buy. What's happening is Kroger is recording everything you buy and building a profile for you so they can push you specific coupons, etc. But that's not all.

They're turning around and selling that data to other companies, who are also buying data from other companies, until finally there's a ridiculously accurate and invasive buyer-profile built around you.

So you're at the mall walking around and Coca-Cola bought data from Kroger that knows you're number is associated with the guy who keeps buying 48 two-liters per week of Diet Coke. You walk by a Coke vending machine and suddenly your phone goes off with a notification to let you know a delicious ice-cold Diet Coke can be had within 10 seconds right next to you!

Of course that's the future. Currently it's like "Hey, welcome to Cosco, I love you. Make sure you check out Aisle 172 where we have all of our current clearance and sale items!"

Maybe you're at a restaurant and you've been seated at table 4 in section 3. Your phone gets a notification to let you know that it'll be 5 more minutes before your piping hot meal is on your table. Thanks for your patience. By the way, check out the desert menu.

Ultimately we'll be walking around with our Augmented Reality contact lenses. Every billboard and poster will be blank, and advertisers will bid for the chance to make their impression on you based on this data. The blank screen will populate itself with the winning advertisement that's hyper-personalized for you. It'll likely speak your name to get your attention, etc.

Let's not forget facial and voice recognition technology that will allow marketers to gather info on their demographics' emotional states in real-time.

Can you imagine how granular you could get if you were able to correlate your demo's moment-to-moment emotional states with their spending habits?

I was at BrightonSEO and there was a talk about this back in April.

Being used at car dealerships as a form of retargeting. I believe with the correct local business this could work quite well. I know some of the tech outside the facebook beacons work across all the big ad platforms.

I was at BrightonSEO and there was a talk about this back in April.

Being used at car dealerships as a form of retargeting. I believe with the correct local business this could work quite well. I know some of the tech outside the facebook beacons work across all the big ad platforms.

Thanks for the heads-up, the BrightonSEO talks are being pumped out into Podcasts at the moment, I don't suppose you remember who it was who gave the talk?

Back