Stumbleupon: Consistent but Low Traffic

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
I've been bringing life to a past created Stumbleupon account. I've been posting news and receiving what feels like some pretty limited traffic. 3 separate shares to the same have received 50-60 views immediately after sharing and then nothing more. Maybe this is test traffic and if you don't have much interaction they cut you off?

Also any other tips? Seems like the main category the post in is key. Any benefits posting to multiple, big categories?

Yeah they send a few stumblers your way, and if people like it they'll send more. Similar to FB, they want to show content that people are interested in. A good way to get a feel for what does well in a particular category is just to browse said category and see what's getting attention, and what they have in common, then try to hit those points with your own content. I haven't found any success from paid stumbles yet, but I imagine with the right content that could also help you get some momentum.

@j a m e s thank you for the info, ill take a look at whats working in the cats im using as well as take a look for other categories where my content might fit.

It depends. Some things stick, some don't. Way back when, I had a site that I would share on StumbleUpon and one post for some reason was a fantastic hit and got over 20,000 hits within a month... but of course this type of traffic doesn't last forever. Was quite exciting at the time however.

Remember...

5-6 views every-time you submit are bot generated.

If you submit 10 articles, it's easy to see 60 visits, but their all bots.

Way back when, I had a site that I would share on StumbleUpon and one post for some reason was a fantastic hit and got over 20,000 hits within a month...
Did they convert somehow? I also had a couple of sites that were getting few hundreds hits from SU daily, but those whoever they were almost didn't click anything.

SU has a lot of bot traffic and things scraping it. They also have some decent mobile users that use the SU mobile app so keep that in mind.

Just a warning to anyone drawing traffic from it. You WILL get banned eventually if you go too hard. They seem a bit slow but I got my URL nuked after 45 days of posting into SU (lol). I would say make sure you post your urls in relevant categories.

They have no mercy and will not unban your URL (I tried contacting their abuse department and made up a lie saying I just purchased the website and blah blah. No luck). They also go back and delete ALL of your URLs posted into their system so your traffic will disappear to 0 and have no footprint of ever being on SU if you get banned.

The traffic is decent and mainly from the US. Good way to give your website a nice lil traffic boost.

New accounts can only post 11 URLs. That is not a 24 hr rate limit but I believe it's around every 6-7 hours.

You do not have to email verify accounts.

Also be conscious when creating accounts and posting into SU they DO log IP addresses and emails used to make accounts so keep that in mind if you are trying to stay stealth mode 100%.

Thank you for contacting StumbleUpon support.

Your account has been restricted because it has been used in breach of our Terms of Service, that is, either for the purposes of promoting your own or others' content, and/or sending PMs (or emails) or posting comments designed to solicit other members to rate/Like your profile and site.

Please note, also, that our Terms of Service allow only for a single account per individual, and that an account should be used for PERSONAL use only.

Users who breach our Terms of Service should not create - or use - another account, since this constitutes a further breach of Terms and those additional accounts will be restricted in our systems as well. We may also exclude from our service any web sites associated with accounts which are in breach of our Terms.

We regret that this restriction will not be lifted.
Barry
StumbleUpon Community Advocate

Just my 2c.

Cheers and GL

8VXCySU.png

@(O_o) did you have to prime any of that with paid ads or did it catch on over time?

@(O_o) did you have to prime any of that with paid ads or did it catch on over time?

No paid ads. Just sorta snowballed over time.

I would make 2-3 accounts a day, hit the 11 URL rate limit on each one and then stop for the day.

Did they convert somehow? I also had a couple of sites that were getting few hundreds hits from SU daily, but those whoever they were almost didn't click anything.

It was a really long time ago but if I remember correctly it got a few Adsense clicks back in the day. Nothing spectacular.

I have a few blogposts with a video embed on the page. Did well and still does for getting videos viewed. Also I try to share something 2-3 times a day and have got followers. The nice part is I still get traffic from stuff that I submitted long ago. Even if the traffic is low, if it is helping, its worth sharing a few things a day imo.

Back