State of the BuSo #1 – September, 2014

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
From time to time, I’m going to take a few moments to update the Society on all the latest comings and goings, what we’re working on, to address any issues that get brought up, and to give a general overview of where we’re at and where we’re going.

There isn’t a lot to say yet, other than everything’s been smooth sailing. We’re continuing to grow slowly, mostly by word of mouth, which is perfect. From day 1, we could have going H.A.M in our promotions of BuSo and getting members to join, we could have been calling in favors and really flexing our marketing muscles but that is short-sighted, and if we’re anything here at BuSo it’s definitely not short sighted.

If you want to make a forum that sizzles and fades away, you’ll promote the hell out of it before it’s ready. I’ve seen it happen plenty of times, and so have you. It’s happening right now to other forums, and they’ll be gone soon. You only get one first impression and that’s why we’ve been taking our time to slowly grow organically and to put together a solid foundation before we go all-out in growing the forum and really getting the party started. We’re just about there. The first rule of building is to start with the foundation, and when you have a strong foundation then the sky is the limit. If you're reading this, you are one of the early adopters.

Instead of taking a “BUSO EVERYWHERE” approach to marketing, we’ve been taking a “tap on the shoulder, whisper in the ear” approach. If you’re here this early, you’re either lucky to have been in the right place at the right time, or you are someone that one of our members has a lot of respect for. In either case, allow me to sincerely welcome you to the Builder Society.

So, what’s next?

The ship keeps on sailing. Soon, we will open the floodgates and you’ll see that member list growing every time you hit refresh, but for now it’s slow and steady wins the race. BuSo was founded about four months ago, and we’re nearly at the point where exponential growth is unavoidable. What’s most important is to keep fostering the right type of culture here like we've been doing. New members are always welcomed warmly, no beginner question is too obvious or too small for someone to take the time to respond to, because we're only as strong as our weakest link and when one of us gets better - we all get better.

There’s no leader with an iron fist, there’s no secret agenda, there’s no high-horse or false-righteousness. We aren’t going to be hiding content that our members create behind a pay-wall while pretending that we’re doing you a favor for doing so, we’re not going to act all righteous while we cash your membership checks each month, we are striving for a transparent and open society for anyone who wants to roll up their sleeves and build.

We won't shake your hand with one arm, while the other one reaches behind to grab your wallet. We couldn't if we wanted to, our hands are carrying hammers and shovels because it's time to build.

Last edited:
YYNf0VY.gif

I like the idea of being transparent about everything. I think the admins need to serve the community instead of the other way around and it seems like that is what's going to happen here.

+1 to our metadata overlord.

Back