Starting an Amazon affiliate review site

TacoCat

Bueno...
BuSo Pro
Degree
Hello, I'm building an affiliate site, I had a few questions regarding the pre - launch process.

Would 20 review articles +1 guide article + 2 TOP10 product list articles would be sufficient to start marketing the website, or should I write more? (I will be adding reviews daily after I start marketing the website)

What about domain? I've noticed that traffic leaking is the God traffic method here, I can't disagree, but with that said I don't want to give myself a disadvantage on potential SEO traffic. Should I get a brand new domain or expired one with some good backlinks?

As for hosting, I will start with hostgater shared hosting (Can't afford a VPS right now). Any other suggestions?

Hey TacoCat - welcome to BuSo.

When you're building a site - even a review site - your number 1 priority should be giving your visitors a great experience. With that said, the best way you can do this is by providing them fantastic, valuable information that they can't get elsewhere - all for free. Keeping that in mind, you may want to increase the number of guides on the site at first and then slowly add more and more reviews as the site grows. People will come back to the site over and over to reference your guides, but may not do that for a specific products review.

A great premium domain with a clean backlink profile is always advantageous, but I would tread lightly unless you know exactly what it is you're looking for and what you're getting for your money spent. If this is your first foray into SEO / affiliate marketing, there's nothing wrong with buying a fresh domain and learning from the ground up.

Hostgator shared is just fine. I use it on most of my sites, never have much down time, and have very good site speeds.

StackCash Nailed it about the premium domain. This can be a step up in the SEO game however only if you find a clean domain that isn't deindexed or penalized. Premium domains also can limit your brand name however on occasion you can find something that you like.

Shared Hosting - I never liked hostgator honestly because of site speed and their file limit rules which were over the top. Hawkhost has some good shared hosting plans and you can always find coupons to bring down the price even more.

What about domain?

As for hosting, I will start with hostgater shared hosting (Can't afford a VPS right now). Any other suggestions?

I agree with the guys above, getting a keyword in the domain will help a lot with ranking. EMD's are even working great again as long as your not building too many exact match anchors in your link building campaigns.

Getting a brand name type domain however will let you expand the products that your offering should your site take off and you get a lot of traffic. So if you know you're going to build the site out for only one type of product, get an EMD.

Hostgator is a great option if you're on a budget, I suggest the Business plan as your get more disk space etc with that one. Keep in mind that if you plan on adding a lot of automation tools to your website however, they will end up limiting you eventually. So keep those to a minimum if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for the great feedback. I appreciate it.

I will be starting a Journey thread as soon as I have at least 30 reviews ready and 5 guides.Then the real action will start. I have set a goal to write everything until 17th of april. Hopefully I will get everything done sooner.

What seems to work for me with Amazon are Top/Best list articles. The more specific the list is to a targeted audience the better. For example "Top 5 Running Shoes For Distance Runners". They convert pretty good.
Since you'll be writing over 30 reviews, I'm guessing it would be an easy article for you to make to:-
(1) make the sale
(2) link to your specific product review article(s) - they can just be snippets of the main review
(3) add more valuable content

@Ashraf yes you are right, and that is exactly what I'm doing with the guides.

If we take your example it looks something like:

"TOP 10 sports shoes for basketball players"
"Top 10 shes for football players"etc.

Back