Starting a simple SaaS as a non-dev...

Boy

@jdcharnell
BuSo Pro
Degree
tl;dr I want to buy a PHP script from CodeCanyon to start a SaaS and sell it to my existing audience. Any advice before I start, things to look out for, etc?

Like a lot of us here, I'm capable of one-click installing WordPress and configuring plugins. A little page builder action here and there so I can put together a website.

But I'm about to venture into some frightening shit: SaaS.

Not learning it, but white labeling a script and marketing it to my existing audience. <- that's the only reason I want to start this. I'm not starting from zero, but the mailing list, existing customers, website visitors, social media followers, etc etc etc are already in place and this serves as a much-needed alternative for the industry. Sponsoring myself so to speak. Add it to recommended resources page, partner page, sidebar ads, whatever.

My balls are in my throat here.

Now, I don't believe in the law of attraction but I've been mulling it over for about 2 days now. It's not an expensive script, ~$400, and today a company spent that on my job board website. So I guess that's my sign to start.

I guess what I'm looking for is any advice from people who've gone this route. Things to consider, watch out for, all that.

Prepare to learn how to be a dev
Well, about 20 minutes after the original post I bought it, installed it, verified with Stripe to accept payments, whipped up some ads, and put them on my main website. Waiting for that first $ to come in...

In the meantime, watching videos about Bootstrap & exploring Visual Studio Code, or at least trying to. The actual service is complete, I just want a custom homepage that fits my audience.

In the meantime, watching videos about Bootstrap & exploring Visual Studio Code, or at least trying to. The actual service is complete, I just want a custom homepage that fits my audience.

Shouldn't be too difficult. But a few things to keep in mind.

What will you do if something breaks?

How do you ensure that customer data is stored securely?

How secure is the template as a whole?

Reactions: Boy
Back