Star Trek

Which Star Trek Is Best?

• Total voters

harrytwatter

just be nice ffs
Degree
Alright you IM geeks, I've been working my way through the various iterations. TNG was a rewatch and better than I remembered. DS9 I think I made it 75% of the way through and just gave up (don't care about Bajoran religious strife) as it was a LOT slower and shallower than I remembered.

Now I'm working my way through the new Discovery and good lord by the end of each episode my eye sockets hurt from all the rolling around they do through both the godawful writing and acting. This has led me to start rewatching Voyager in tandem just so I have some "quality" Trek to dilute the stink of Discovery.

My experience doesn't seem to jive with average viewer scores though with a few exceptions:
[iteration] : IMDB / Rotten Tomatoes Avg. Audience Score
TNG: 8.7/89%
DS9: 8.1/88%
Discovery: 7.0/36%
Voyager: 7.8/76%
Enterprise: 7.5/78%

It blows my mind that DS9 is within a hair of TNG on both review platforms. DS9 is fun but TNG was revolutionary imo. It is also surprising Discovery has such a high IMDB average, although Rotten Tomatoes seems to be more true to what I experienced in terms of their audience score. It's also nice to see the often maligned Enterprise actually scoring quite high.

What say ye friends of the federation? Is Discovery truly hot trash or am I putting the Picard on a a pedestal here?

You're missing the original series (the best imo), the new Picard series (also really good imo), the original movies and remake movies. Personally I'd list it as TOS > TNG > Picard > the original movies (both with Kirk and Picard cause they lead to Generations which is an awesome movie). Then the rest are meh - Enterprise > Discovery > remake movies (first one was fun) > DS9 > Voyager. There's also the New World series but haven't looked into it and of course Galaxy Quest which is a parody-ish movie.

TNG > *

I don't know why people even bother having this discussion anymore unless it's trying to figure out which gets second place.

I don't know why people even bother having this discussion anymore unless it's trying to figure out which gets second place.
okay, so who do you think gets second place then?

You're missing the original series (the best imo), the new Picard series (also really good imo), the original movies and remake movies. Personally I'd list it as TOS > TNG > Picard > the original movies (both with Kirk and Picard cause they lead to Generations which is an awesome movie). Then the rest are meh - Enterprise > Discovery > remake movies (first one was fun) > DS9 > Voyager. There's also the New World series but haven't looked into it and of course Galaxy Quest which is a parody-ish movie.
Yes, I excluded things I haven't watched yet. The old stuff is a bit too tacky for my liking. Picard seems to be generally well-liked. I would contest DS9 being superior to Voyager, at least Voyager moved around..

Loved Galaxy Quest, need to re-watch.

Yes, I excluded things I haven't watched yet. The old stuff is a bit too tacky for my liking. Picard seems to be generally well-liked. I would contest DS9 being superior to Voyager, at least Voyager moved around..
Picard is excellent. If you liked TNG, that should be your next watch.

Back