Standing desks?

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Do we have any standers among us?

I'm going to give it an earnest try. In the past, I've gone maybe 5 minutes then been like "Screw this."

I'm going to at least get to the point where I'm used to it and comfortable this time, see how it goes... wish me luck!

Sometimes, I'll get on my knees at my regular seated desk just so the pressure shifts from my back. It's not often. I'd imagine with a pad under my knees I could do that for quite a while. I'd like to try a standing desk at some point. I sit all day and then come home and sit more.

Do we have any standers among us?

I'm going to give it an earnest try. In the past, I've gone maybe 5 minutes then been like "Screw this."

I'm going to at least get to the point where I'm used to it and comfortable this time, see how it goes... wish me luck!

I've done it off/on for a week or two at a time. It has yet to stick with me FULLY, but I can say your back feels a hell of a lot better after a week or so of standing.

The treadmill desks are a bit over-kill for me, but that's okay.

The key is to getting the BEST anti-fatigue mats.

My worry is that prolonged pressure shifted to your knees and ankles and hips could be bad if you aren't shifting around, fidgeting, squatting, jumping jacks, etc. Seems like it could get in the way of your work flow. Maybe switching back and forth from sitting and standing is best?

I've tried makeshift standing desks but I think I would need the "real thing" to really get a feel for it.

I just got one of these (no relationship) - http://standingfit.com

i like it bc not always standing or sitting and goes anywhere. those big ass ugly standing tables/desk stations, just, eww.

ps, i think the trick is, don't just stand there either. Walk round when on the phone or dictating, you can actually do squats, yoga poses, dance around i do that a lot too esp when on phone. good voice recognition helps. if you had ADD like me it makes it a little more tolerable.

You people are nuts. :wink: jk

@crazyjane

That gave me and idea. I might build one of those out of wood. All you really have to do is lift your keyboard and mouse, and then tilt your monitor. My monitor is on an arm anyways so I can lift it too...

I could get this done for like $10 and some time, route the edges, make it look real fancy. Even stain it and seal it! *the benefits of being an old man*

Update: Haven't given it an earnest try yet. I have things setup, so maybe later tonight? It's so daunting.

my kid said "i could make that for you out of plexi for $10" and I said "get your ass back to your school work" ha ha

Not to be that guy but... what happened? You give it the ole collegiate try?

I've been talking about getting one for weeks now. My lower back has got to crap and I end up standing and hitting the balance board to mix it up.

The ultimate in back health is varable positions.

So, get a desk that can switch easily between standing and sitting (IKEA has one for ~700$ that is fine), and get yourself some different chairs (most recommended: one chair, one of those giant exercise balls).

Switch several times per day, don't forget to move.

::emp::

@chaddicus. thanks for the reminder. I haven't been able to get into it... I'll do ~5-10 minutes at a time but it's hard to focus on anything for longer than that for some reason. I still like the idea of it.. baby steps.

I've been standing for a little over 5 weeks now... I'll have to post a pic when I'm not on the ipad. Basically a hacked ikea version a little different than ian Fernando's. I changed things somewhat to accommodate my exact body dimensions (desk height is 1/2" lower than my elbow when perpendicular to the floor).

First three weeks were kinda rough, but I'm starting to get used to it now. The body definitely goes through a transition period, plus if you've been sitting with bad posture for a while, it's a bit of a shock. One thing I noticed and lived, was feeling more focused during the first week. It's like, you're not just gonna stand here all day to do trivial shit... If you're standing, you're fucking working! Nice change.

Added a couple things in the last couple weeks that have improved things: a foam standing mat, I wear shoes all the time when standing now, and various movements intermittently.

If someone wants to take it a step farther try one of these...
ceebff0b414c1a46a3d5b72b1fbed576.png

dk_about_bio-run1.jpg

This guy is standing while working also (and he eats pizza delivered to him while running!). Be careful... You might become ultra runner :wink:

Back