Squeezing Out Every SEO Benefit From an Infographic

Degree
So I'm having a bit of trouble here,
I like making infographics, and usually when I make em, I post it as it's own post on wordpress.

Eg: "The Best Dog Breeds For Lazy People [Infographic]"

The infographic get's shared a lot, I snag some decent backlinks and some good social traction.

Now would it be better to make a 1000 word article for "The Best Dog Breeds For Lazy People" and slip the infographic somewhere in the article and promote that post instead?

Than I might actually rank for a bunch of stuff in Google with all the incoming links and shares from people wanting to see the graphic. I'm not sure.

1000 words vs your infographic image alt tags. I think 1000 words will probably do better than the infographic alone but definitely a good idea to include both if you can.

Here's a great example of a post that uses an infographic like you are in your example.
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/ultimate-guide-social-media-image-dimensions-infographic

It's a guide that I used to reference frequently back in the day for creating exact sized images for the different social platforms. Notice how they also use a lot of words on the page, links to download free templates, and even offer the users to download their infographic for quick reference (it used to at least, but it also looks like the post is getting updated to keep current also, which it didn't at first).

Hope that helps, I think you're on the right track though.

There's two types of content in SEO - things that you want to rank, and things that are easy to get lots of links to. The two don't always line up. Naturally when they do line up you should go all in on the page - visuals, thousands of words, interactive stuff, video...

When they don't it's all about internal linking. Take this linkbait of conference fame:

http://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/microsites/wordpress-for-small-businesses/

Take a look at the bottom of the page to see how big agencies are doing it for their clients :wink: Maybe do something less... 'aggressive'... to get your internal links in (maybe inside your 1,000 word article!).

Back