Spike in Adsense CTR over past couple of days. Did you get hit?

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
So a few days ago on my new site that I've just installed Adsense on, it got a click on an "about" style page. It's not even getting traffic from real places. I've filtered out bot traffic.

The first thing I thought was... why would a bot click an ad? Makes no sense, but it was the only answer that could be... I just let it go as a mishap and thought maybe I even clicked the ad by mistake.

Then yesterday, another site of mine made about 3x the amount it usually does in Adsense. I noticed other people around the web and on Skype talking about it too. Some people were reporting up to 90x normal revenue (admittedly they normally only get one click a day). But still, its pretty drastic.

Today, as I'm scouring the interwebs I see that there were several Adsense Help threads with people worried about getting banned over it. It was like a global click-bomb.

Fast forward to now... Google speaks out...

As of April 19th, some of you may have been impacted by a new segment of invalid traffic. Fortunately, Google’s traffic quality systems were able to react quickly to detect this traffic as invalid and treat it accordingly. The invalid traffic between April 19th and April 20th however, was not removed from your estimated earnings.

This invalid traffic will be removed from your finalized earnings by the end of the month. As a result, you may see a larger than normal difference between estimated earnings and finalized earnings for the month of April 2015.

This invalid traffic is not counted in your estimated earnings as of April 21, 2015, however you may continue to see it reflected in your weblogs as Google does not block the traffic.

We work hard to ensure that we maintain a healthy ecosystem for our publishers, users and advertisers. Advertisers have not been charged for this invalid traffic.
Bots usually have a motive. In this case, it was an evil one that harms publishers and advertisers alike as innocent bystanders while someone tried to hurt Google. Lame.

Anyone else see this in their earnings? I'll be sad to see the extra cash go away, but it's nice that they caught it quickly. Too bad they aren't filtering out spam referrals and ghosted host traffic for us in Analytics.

Saw higher earnings, I attributed this to increased traffic (verified), and the further separation of desktop and mobile. Now that mobile is being forced on webmasters, the desktop inventory has decreased and that should lead to higher bids on adwords.

I didn't get the email, but am not seeing 3X numbers, closer to 2X.

Back