Spam Kings - Fascinating Book

Degree
I read this book a few months ago, but just remembered it when I read someone mentioning Spamhaus.

It's an incredibly well-written book about the "golden age" of spam in the early '00s. The two protagonists are selling dick pills, pirated CDs, etc. Some hilarious stuff in there.

I had no idea you could write a book this good... about spamming.

The main protagonist Davis Hawke started as a neo-nazi in America, but then his plan of becoming a Fuhrer didn't work out. So he started spamming to earn money.

He kept all the spam cash he earned in Gold and buried it. So when the state finally came after him, they couldn't get to his money. You can't make this stuff up.

The author goes into amazing amount of detail, I can't even imagine how much interview material he must have worked through.

https://www.amazon.com/Spam-Kings-High-Rolling-Hucksters-Enlargements/dp/1491913711

There was some movie about some of the first guys in the adult niche online and how quickly it escalated from big money to getting involved with strip club mafia guys to take original photos (before video streaming!). it wasn't a great movie or anything, but fun enough.

It was called Middle Men. Apparently one of them was among the earliest to accept credit cards online too. Spun up the code fast in their crappy apartment and then scanned pics from their magazine collection.

Back