Some questions about making your own product

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I'm in a competitive niche where everyone has an ebook to sell.

The question I have is why would someone buy an ebook from my site, when they could go to another site? I feel like I can't write something that hasn't been written before.

Is this just down to building a better connection with an audience so that they choose you over them? I suppose I need to do some brain storming on how I could maybe design it better, or make it more beginner friendly.

Edit: Or I could just do what BuSo has done and make the info available for free, which seems like a better idea

Last edited:
I'd say its all about building a community. In each industry, especially information-based industries, there is usually less variance in 'what' is being said. Instead the variety lies in 'how' its being said.

For example, I go to youtube to learn 'how to grow an instagram account'. I naturally begin watching male instagrammers in niches relevant to me. My wife goes online with the same intent and she begins watching females who are into her interests - similar information, delivered differently and likely tweaked slightly to fit the demographic.

There are ton's of examples like this and ultimately it all comes down to doing your market research and targeting the right group of people. Then, your content needs to match the audience so it's relatable.

As a new player, it would be nearly impossible to sell an ebook on dieting to a wide audience. You'd have a much better chance niching down and selling diet info to overweight male gamers who want to get a girlfriend. Same recipes, same concepts, different targeting and delivery.

The question I have is why would someone buy an ebook from my site, when they could go to another site?

You'll fail unless you can answer this question, with confidence, for yourself. If you can convince others that 'this is why you'd buy this ebook from me instead of them', then you'll be on your way.

Edit: Or I could just do what BuSo has done and make the info available for free, which seems like a better idea

This is a big question you need to do some hard research on. You're basically defining your entire business model here. Think carefully and long term about what each option would look like and how you'd monetize it.

I'd say its all about building a community. In each industry, especially information-based industries, there is usually less variance in 'what' is being said. Instead the variety lies in 'how' its being said.

For example, I go to youtube to learn 'how to grow an instagram account'. I naturally begin watching male instagrammers in niches relevant to me. My wife goes online with the same intent and she begins watching females who are into her interests - similar information, delivered differently and likely tweaked slightly to fit the demographic.

There are ton's of examples like this and ultimately it all comes down to doing your market research and targeting the right group of people. Then, your content needs to match the audience so it's relatable.

As a new player, it would be nearly impossible to sell an ebook on dieting to a wide audience. You'd have a much better chance niching down and selling diet info to overweight male gamers who want to get a girlfriend. Same recipes, same concepts, different targeting and delivery.

You'll fail unless you can answer this question, with confidence, for yourself. If you can convince others that 'this is why you'd buy this ebook from me instead of them', then you'll be on your way.

This is a big question you need to do some hard research on. You're basically defining your entire business model here. Think carefully and long term about what each option would look like and how you'd monetize it.

Good points. I didn't think of it that way. I think I may need to dive a bit deeper than the market research I did, its too vague at this stage.

Gives me a few ideas as well, because I could either write a guide to sell, or write impressive pillar posts. Will sit on it for an hour or two and do some more digging and reading. Kind of like the second option, since I don't have to sell an ebook on that specific topic etc.

Give away the info for free, charge to implement it.

I’m not saying you should do this, but you mentioned the free ebook route and then “why not just make it into pillar posts then?”

In that case I’d say to do both. But the one free ebook crammed with value will let you build a list of people who like the format and are engaged with you enough to try it. If it’s a good ebook, then you should be able to convert a good number of them on the next book that costs some money.

You’d be creating a list magnet that has built in filters that’ll boost the quality of the list big time.

Eventually you can sell other people’s books for a commission or an email blast for a flat fee + a percentage.

You can also keep the list warm and monetized by promoting your site or web app content too. This’ll generate some cash too. Eventually you’ll create a cult of brand ambassadors getting you links, shares, and sales.

You can extrapolate any storyline like this, but anything free must lead to money somehow.

What about thinking outside the box?

Nobody likes the same regurgitated information they can find easily: engage in an emotional (if you want to call it like that) interchange with your visitors and offer them value: it's not just the information you offer, but the whole experience you offer. I've seen this emotional engagement triggers in a lot of niches: instead of letting your visitors read plain, emotionless paragraphs, try to connect with them (aka empathy) and you'll start seeing improvements.

It even works on hard to tackle, competitive niches like tech products reviews. The 10beasts guy even recommends it:

vFszIQx.jpg

Source.

And finally, make your product appealing to visitors. A good, professional image could convince your visitors that your product actually holds value.

Peace.

There are some really interesting ideas above and I feel that your own digital product seems like the next logical step after Amazon affiliate stuff.

I'm in a similar niche where there's a plethora of ebooks available and while I haven't given this a tonne of thought yet, I'd be tempted to use an ebook as a free lead magnet, keeping it super niche relevant and then have a more valuable offer like a video course or access to group training.

Here's another option:

Take your ebook, boil it down to the main takeaways, tips, tricks and hacks. Expand on those points individually by making a powerpoint out of those, and using Camtasia or Jing, record yourself talking through that powerpoint. Should be no more than 4-10 videos, no more than an hour total.

Chunk it out into separate videos in Camtasia, or 5 min segments with Jing. Put up a quick website with a locked membership area. Set the price to free, and only require optin to get the free video course you just made, with an upsell to the full book.

Using @CCarter Traffic Leaks, go to forums and anywhere else your target market plays on the internet. Insert yourself into the conversation, and gain rapport. Footer link in your posts back to the free video course with e-book upsell. Profit.

Is there a possibility in your market to be a consultant, coach, or "expert" that people can reach out to? Good, chunk out more info into video, audio, PDF, articles, courses, and weekly calls with your target market.

Start offering those to your list, AFTER sending them a survey about what they actually want the solution to, then make that as a core offering.
Let them buy.
Open an affiliate program and saturate the market with your offers. Dip into retargeting and conversion tracking, and build an empire.

That's how you stop being an ebook vendor and become the authority in your marketplace.

Back