Smart Watches

Degree
What's your opinions on smart watches?

I stopped wearing a watch ages ago due to carrying a cell phone around. I felt it was redundant since I wasn't wearing nice business watches for appearance. I've been knowing this Smart Watch thing was coming for a couple years due to my Wired magazine subscription (great read by the way, once a month!). I've known it's coming and have thought a lot about it.

I feel like it's some purposefully intermediary step between phones and a "next level" tech that we haven't been introduced to. Almost like a money grab. The philosophy is to cut down on the # of times and the amount of time it takes for having to pull your phone out of your pocket constantly. To me, that's not worth several hundred dollars.

But if they worked like pedometers, heart rate monitors... I could see a good application for sports and exercise.

I don't know what to think. I know it's not for me, but I'm just trying to gauge if it's going to catch on at all with the masses.

I feel like this is a step backwards. A step forward will self-charging devices that are built into our clothing, that charge through kinetic energy and static. With flexible organic LED screens. That are washable. lol. I don't know. Something just feels "off" about the smart watches.

My main issue with them right now is they require you to have a smart phone of the same company bluetoothed together. You become dependent on both and then if one breaks you have to fix it and stay with that company. It makes a ton of sense business wise. This really will come down to marketing, because these products literally solve zero issues.

@Member 24 I'm not sure if that's the case necessarily. The apple one won't work with other devices, but I think Sony (Or someone else?) is making one (Or has already made one?) that will work on other android devices, and I'm sure there are some players that aren't even in the handset game that will be making universal smart watches.

I want to find one that has a good fitness tracker / heart rate monitor built in. It could use the phone's GSP to map my runs instead of having to get a GSP watch.

It's kind of cool to read texts on your phone and then speak back into it with a speech-to-text converter and fire off a text. But you're not always going to be in a place where you can talk. But that is cool, I'll admit. It's not $100-300 cool.

Imagine all the idiots in movie theatres now, and the new warnings. "Please disable the light-up-display on your watch before the movie begins" and how many people won't.

I saw one where you could change the face of the watch to look like all sorts of different styles... Kinda cool!

I'm convinced Apple only designed this in order to keep Samsung or whoever else from having total reign over that market. It was a political and strategic move to keep a competitor from rising more than it was something they wanted to push. That's my humble FACT.

I want one, from Apple, just because I like tech stuff. I think it'll be fun to tinker with, but really worth the money. Which is why I wont' have one unless Christmas is real good to me. I'm liable to break it though, so there's no real point in me having anything that nice.

I love em. I played around with samsungs when it first came out and felt like I was straight up in Star Trek TOS. Which I obviously geeked out hard about. But I'm kinda waiting for the market to get bigger. There have been a lot of talk about smaller companies making unilaterally compatible smart watches with quite a few features that apple and samsung don't really touch on. I'm not going to try and find the article, but I read it over on TechCrunch I believe. And I'm always perusing Kickstarter for some of the newer tech ideas.
I personally thing that wearable, flexible devices are where the future is going. I give cell phones as we currently know them no more than 15 years. We'll have multiple connected devices that we use for communication.
Anyways. I think they're pretty awesome and a step in the right direction.

If you use android. The LG G Watch R is pretty awesome. send and respond to texts through the watch and google voice commands. Get google search right on your wrists. You can skin the background to look like your favorite watch as well.

I'm distracted enough as it is. I don't really need another way to access the Twitterbooks and all.

Now Ocular Implants on the other hand...

Back