Site ranks high on first page for desktop but page 5 for mobile

Degree
Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to assist me with this. I have a website that ranks top five on the desktop on google, but is on page five on mobile. It's strange because this has been going on for about two weeks now. It previously was in roughly the same position on mobile.

I've obviously made sure the site is mobile friendly using the google mobile friendly test and it is. But, for whatever reason the site has recently gone down in the mobile search results. tt's also strange because overall the site is having solid organic growth and has been moving up well for the target keywords. At first I thought it would correct itself but after two weeks I'm beginning to think something might be up.

If it helps this site is a local based website and it is targeting a specific city in the United States.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this has got me pretty stumped.

Did you check search console for mobile usability errors?

I'd also check the ad experience report for both mobile and desktop in search console as well as page speed insights to see if there's a large discrepancy between mobile and desktop speed, or if your speed is slow overall.

The design of mobile and desktop versions should also be same... and all content on mobile must be visible properly.. check that also.

If you can pull it up in Search Console, try to see what the click-through-rating was in the mobile SERPs at a similar position on the desktop SERPs. You may have also experienced a lot more pogo-sticking on mobile.

You may be presenting the same information in a similar layout, but people have different "psychologies" on mobile than they do on desktop. They're usually in work mode or at least far more serious on desktop than on mobile or tablet on their couch in front of the TV. So there's a chance you're not satisfying the query as well for the mobile-mindset.

If you can pull it up in Search Console, try to see what the click-through-rating was in the mobile SERPs at a similar position on the desktop SERPs. You may have also experienced a lot more pogo-sticking on mobile.

What is pogo sticking?

What is pogo sticking?

Pogo-sticking is when a user clicks your site in the SERPs, stays on your page for some amount of time and then hits the back button, landing back on the SERPs. It's an indication to Google that your page didn't satisfy the query. Enough of this will hurt your ranking as much as an increased CTR will help it.

Pogo-sticking is when a user clicks your site in the SERPs, stays on your page for some amount of time and then hits the back button, landing back on the SERPs. It's an indication to Google that your page didn't satisfy the query. Enough of this will hurt your ranking as much as an increased CTR will help it.

WELP

disregard my former reply then

Sorry for the late follow up. But, thanks for the advice. I believe the issue actually was that the site was a little over optimized for the keyword. I guess with the mobile first index we may have seen the results first on the mobile, because it started happening on the desktop as well. We built some generic links and it came back, but now it is bouncing between being high and not. I'll let it settle but my gut feeling is we were a little over optimized and this should help.

Back