Silos and Duplicate Content

Degree
Hi,

I have a question about Silos.

One of them is a 'vegan cheese' silo, with probably 30 keywords/articles in that silo - derived from KGR.

Incidentally, I'm creating content where I try to incorporate Kyle Roof's recommendations.
So for each article I'll try and use all the PAA's and Related Keywords and get them into my H1's and H2's and so on, on ONE article.

However, I'm worried about inadvertent keyword cannibalisation and particularly content duplication on the OTHER articles within that silo.

How can I guard against this and are there any useful flags/alerts I could employ?

Many thanks!

This is quickly resolved by asking yourself two questions.

1. Are the intents of the two keywords the same?

How do you figure this out? By googling the keyword and checking if the results are the same. If they are, the intent is probably the same. However, suppose you are writing on keywords with no competition. In that case, the results may not differ (even with different intents) simply because there are not enough relevant results to show for it. As a result, Google is forced to offer the same results for both keywords.

2. How do you figure out if google is showing the same results because there are not enough results?

Read the existing results and check if they honestly answer the intent of the keyword. It makes sense to write an article on that keyword if they don't. If they do, you may still be able to rank because of on-page factors (keyword in H1/H2). But that would depend on your site authority. Since you are bothering with the KGR nonsense, I will assume you have a new site with little to no links. Don't bother writing an article on that keyword if you don't have links or existing topical authority unless you are going "all-out" in the niche.

Also, keyword cannibalization is overrated. In most cases, Google sends the less relevant page (according to them) out of the top 10. If it is a complete ad-play, I wouldn't give a fuck about all this.

Ok thanks for the info.

What do you mean; "If it is a complete ad-play" ?

You can check the existing results and see if one of the current top 10 rank for keywords that you already have articles for. That might tell you how similar the subject matter is.

However this sounds like an opportunity for you to link to those other articles because they are relevant. When that happens for me, I create a short section that answers the question and then I point people to the main article for more detail.

Back