Should there be a tech/code/programming forum?

100% yes here. Coding is the basis of so much of what we build and I'd be grateful for a forum to share "pro tips", "lessons learned", etc.

Thinking of names (and getting ahead of myself)
We have
Laboratory, Garden, ...-->
Garage
Workshop

::emp::

Have my vote, I'm a programmer by profession so hopefully I'll be able to help out.

Thinking of names (and getting ahead of myself)

The Foundry.

uhdLrNP.gif

I'd be happy to see such a thing, perhaps with a bit of design thrown in too?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I'll peel back the curtain as to how we've decided to add new subforums so far... (Love the suggestion, BTW, just allow me to explain some things...)

For starters... Pick a couple forums that you know, go visit their homepage... There's probably a big list of sections and there's probably some that haven't been touched in weeks, maybe months, maybe even years. This is what we've aimed to avoid from the start. Take a look at BuSo's subforums.. Yes, some are more popular than others, but it's all relatively close, it's all in the same ballpark... That means we've done a good job organizing things so far, imho.

There was enough discussion about productivity and motivation to warrant creating the Garden. You probably see where this is going now...

We already have a shortlist of ideas for new areas that we had guessed would be upcoming eventually (For a programming one, I had Workshop as the working title too... I think I like Foundry better.)

So the thing is... There aren't that many threads about programming and development yet, so we aren't going to create a section for that just yet. If you want a section about programming and development, start talking about programming, development... If you want a section about design, start making threads about design.... Basically any time the conversation in the Board Room starts to skew more towards a particular subject, it will likely get it's own area.

It was always tempting to come up with a big list of subforums and to add them right away and to hope they got filled in, but the best way is to let it happen naturally.

So a new section is not going to happen today, it's not going to happen this week, but if we start seeing more discussions about programming and they are sustainable, there will absolutely be a section for that in the very near future.

+1 to everyone ITT, it's always great to get suggestions and to know exactly what the community wants to see.

@emp No problem at all, I don't think. Right now the place for programming and development discussion is the Board Room, but there isn't really any discussion on those topics. Once there is, we'll make a spot for it.

That seems like a good approach. In basically every other forum new subforums pop up and never get used. I like the small number of forums approach because the community is small

Yes there NEEDS to be one, I prob wouldn't know what to do with them thought..

I started a free online tool thread

I'd be interested in seeing this once there was more demand. I understand the chicken & the egg argument, but that also sounds like a "if you build it, they will come" fantasy that may not be accurate for a current userbase. I say that, however, I'd be in there for sure, sharing front-end stuff and hoping to learn more back-end stuff.

I'd be interested in seeing this once there was more demand.

This thread proves there's a demand for it, so feel free to open up programming and development and design threads right here in the Board Room and we'll move them over once we've launched the new section.

Back