Should I split up a 15,000 word article?

goldmercury

IT Rockstar
Degree
Hi guys

I've got an article that ranks around number 6 for my target keyword. It's actually a book that I wrote and turned into a huge post.

It also ranks anywhere between 10-20 for modifiers of the target keyword.

I'm thinking I should be writing dedicated articles for the modifiers and reworking the main article to take out references to the modifiers or am I best to continue optimizing the main article?

I'm worried about keyword cannibalisation and unsure best course of action.

Hi guys

I've got an article that ranks around number 6 for my target keyword. It's actually a book that I wrote and turned into a huge post.

It also ranks anywhere between 10-20 for modifiers of the target keyword.

I'm thinking I should be writing dedicated articles for the modifiers and reworking the main article to take out references to the modifiers or am I best to continue optimizing the main article?

I'm worried about keyword cannibalisation and unsure best course of action.

Write about most modifiers that makes sense and go into more detail than in the main article.

For instance, let's say you are writing an ultimate guide about guitars.

In that article you will also talk about the different types of guitars, but you will not get too in-depth. Maybe you will mention the different types and write a short description of each.

However, with that article, being a huge resource, you will most likely not rank for the keyword "guitar types" because that is only one section of the whole article. You will also not rank for "electric guitar" "bass guitar" etc. because those are, again, just little sections of an otherwise huge resource.

If you want to rank for those kewords, you will have to write dedicated articles for them:
  • An article about types of guitars
  • An article about bass guitars
  • An article about electric guitars
  • etc
And you can interlink them like:

Ultimate guide article links to sub keyword - in this case "types of guitars".

Types of guitars links to "electric guitar" article and "bass guitar" article and so on.

The whole idea with the big ass resource article is to have a linkable asset. Nobody is going to read a whole ultimate guide about guitars just to learn about the different types of guitars.

These articles are great at getting links and then you pass the link juice throughout the webstie by interlinking to other articles.

EDIT: Supposing this is what you meant by "modifier keywords".

Back