Should I buy a .net? (Couldn't find any articles here on this.)

Degree
The .com I want is taken. I used site price to get an estimated value of the site which is about 5k. The .net however is available. I know .com is better. I was thinking should I get the .net and wait until I can afford to buyout the .com? Or add or take away from the name and get a .com?

For example lets say the name is lagerhumper. Should I get LagerHumper.net? or create LAGRHumper.com? I know i will be successful and eventually be able to buy the domain I want. I am just not sure what to do in the mean time.

Thanks for your time.

If you develop the .net and become an established site, the price of the .com will rise.

Did you use something like Estibot to get an idea what the .com is worth? If so, that number is absolutely worthless, which could be good news as you might be able to get a better deal on the .com.

Is the .com developed yet? If not, hit them up and ask if they have a reseller price on it.

.net isn't ideal but it's also not the end of the world. I like .co as an alternative to .com, maybe even .io if your site is tech related. .Com is still king, but just keep in mind that when they're pricing it down the road, seeing someone using the .net (Especially if they know it's you) is going to drastically increase the price.

I would simply look for another domain name that has the .com version available.
Whenever possible I try to avoid having one or more competitors with the same name on a different TLD. Especially in your case it would suck to brand your website name and still have people type in .com unconsciously.

Back