Server Location

Prentzz

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm designing a site for a local service business I'm starting in a city in Europe. I normally host all of my sites on KnownHost because they are by far the best at the price point imo. They have VPS locations in Europe but there Shared Cloud Hosting is in the USA.

I think this question is going to be difficult to answer precisely with 100% accuracy, but hopefully somebody with more technical experience can give me an idea.

How much of a difference is the server location going to make from say Texas to London for example? Is it that big a of a difference that it would be better to choose a possibly inferior shared host in Europe that has a closer server?

Thanks

How much of a difference is the server location going to make from say Texas to London for example?
It will make a huge difference.

KnownHost's service are unknown to me, but it looks like they got 4 locations (https://www.knownhost.com/network.html, which seems pretty weak since the closest one is n Amsterdam for your Londoners. Linode is my go to and they got 9 locations including London, Tokyo, Germany, Singapore, and 4 locations within the USA (https://www.linode.com/linodes). With one of my SAAS operations we are building out the backend so users in Europe get data stored at Linode's European servers, and Asia gets stored in Toyko or Singapore.

It'll reduce latency quite a bit and make the user's interface feel a lot more responsive. No matter how fast the internet is, jumping through hoops and going through physical cables at the bottom of the ocean still adds latency when it comes to the real-time user experience of your website. Also consider that if you have multiple elements being pulled - that's more latency. And if there are any 3rd party connections like Google Analytics, or some AD waterfalls or anything really that's more latency.

I definitely would recommend you host your server nearest your target audience just to shave an extra 200 milliseconds to 1-3 seconds (if not more) off the travel of the data packets.

It makes a difference in speed and ranking. I'd make sure to go into Search Console and make sure you set the geographic location for the site as the UK too. Regarding speed, this can be a matter of entire seconds.

Thanks for the help. I'll start looking for a server located ideally in the same city as the service.

Back