Serpstat vs Ahrefs?

shiftymcnab

BuSo Pro
Degree
Sup bros!

Looking at snapping up an offer for serpstat, very similar tool to ahrefs from the look of it.
Anyone used both? Which would you recommend for the most accurate and up to date data?

Good or bad experiences?

I grabbed SERPStat during their $39 appsumo deal. I was mostly interested in their rank tracking which I found to be buggy. I shared a keyword set in their rank tracker with another user and somehow caused it to wipe out the tracked keyword data in the other account. It only tracks your site so, you don't get to see the entire SERP like you would with SERPWoo.

I didn't explore too much beyond the rank tracker because it didn't appear to offer anything more than SEMRush or Ahrefs. Both are likely to have more comprehensive data than SERPStat.

If you can get it at the appsumo price it's not bad.

I tried it out last time, IIRC it was pretty limited in terms of finding new keywords, 100 results per report, you could use filters to narrow it down a bit and squeeze out a little more data... But that's just too limited. I wanted it for finding keywords, I can't comment much on the other features it has but I remember it being passable, when you consider that a lifetime sub costs less than half a month of Ahrefs. The Serpstat plans that offer more than 100 KW results are $70 - $300 per month.

It looks like SerpStat responded to the same criticism already about the limitations of the Appsumo plan, and spun it as being a positive, I'm not sure I agree that limiting how much data I can see at any given time is a positive.

"You see 100 results, but you've got 300 queries per day, so you can get 30,000 results per day. You'll have to apply filters and use different tools to get all the data, which is actually a more efficient way to do research than getting 30,000 results and scrolling down to see the long-tail keywords." (via the comments on their Appsumo deal page)

If having a limit of 100 is a better way to do KW research, why do all of their more expensive accounts offer 15k - 50k results? Also could you imagine having to go over each query 300 times in order to get the 30k results? Could you imagine if that was how you had to spend your day?!

Not to mention the amount of duplicates you'd have to wade through. It's more efficient to spend hours digging through 300 different queries, trying to setup all sorts of different filters just to see all of the data, versus one click that gives you everything? I dunno man...

Anyways, it's all a moot point for me, I remembered that SerpWoo has a KW research tool, and then I took 3 minutes to learn to use it correctly, which makes a huuuge difference.

Still, if someone wanted a really basic version of an ahrefs/semrush kind of thing, I could see Serpstat being serviceable, but doing KW research with it is not ideal (depending on who you ask...)

I was interested in the keyword research, competitor rank and link profile reports all being in one place. It seems it’s not as slick as it looks from the outside. I feared it would be so given the price. Seemed way to cheap to return a high standard of accurate data.

I’m looking at serpwoo also.

Any other recommendations?

is this the deal on AppSumo?
It was yes, stumbled across it today researching tools.

I recommend SERPWoo (here's their Marketplace thread here on BuSo where you get extra keywords for tracking as a BuSo bonus) for rank tracking, SERP tracking, online reputation management, and for keyword research (especially if you already know your parent keyword and want to pull in countless extra long-tails in the article).

It doesn't have a traditional keyword research modules. The Keyword Finder pulls data in based on a root keyword you feed it. It pulls all the other keywords the Top 10 (I think it's top 5 or 3 now, gives you like 99% of the same data and is faster) are ranking for and then you can filter and sort. It's one of the most important parts of my publishing procedure.

It also doesn't have a backlink index like you'd get with Ahrefs (the best one for this, I think).

I'm just stating that for @shiftymcnab and anyone else reading this, so the expectations are correct. The SERP tracking, keyword tracking, and keyword finder are some of my daily drivers though. It's well worth it for what amounts to peanuts for your business. It's an insane value.

Yeah, its keyword data is ok for the price but its backlinks data suck. You cannot filter out nofollow or image scraper links.
One useful feature they give you is the API access, so I built a interface for my writers. Now I don't have to give out keyword sheet for topics.

One useful feature they give you is the API access, so I built a interface for my writers. Now I don't have to give out keyword sheet for topics.

Sounds interesting - got screenshot or what did you include for them?

Thanks @Ryuzaki - serpwoo is in.

I’m still doing base keyword research at this point and using good ole google keyword tool for that.

I try to limit my distractions so I’ve always stuck with the old ones, Google keyword tool, ahrefs and longtailpro < haven’t looked to see if that’s still going.

As you’ve probably guessed I’ve been away from the ‘game’ for a couple of years so I’m trying to get back up to speed as quick as possible. Kinda feel like a total noob again

I bought it the first go around. It's a good substitute for those who can't afford the monthly expenses of the bigger, better tools, like ahrefs and SEMRush.

For me, the most useful feature is the top pages, which shows you the most trafficked pages of any website, based on the combination of keywords it's ranking for, and their search volume and positions. It gives you a good feel for how to create broad-ranking topical pages.

I first tried out SERPStat around two years ago, and it was so bad that I've not gone back to it until the recent AppSumo deal.

I grabbed the deal, and I've found that they've mainly focused on adding features that their competitors don't really have.

This is good and bad.

I really love their Text Analysis feature. Absolutely top notch bit of data to analyze when improving existing content.

Their backlink and organic keyword database simply blows.

Ahrefs and SERPWoo rule the roost there.

Basically my bottom-line on SERPStat is it's worth the AppSumo deal for the Text Analysis feature alone. Beyond that there's far better options for everything.

Back