Seeking advice on entering a newly forming, competitive vertical.

Degree
Thanks for any helpful tips or cornerstones I should keep in mind. I am coming to find there are many other firms targeting this specific demographic lately and I want to fill some of that space with our full service online marketing business. I have yet to build a comprehensive portfolio and was going to emphasize our contribution to that specific community while taking an in depth look into their business before we discuss prices and services required. Other than good salesmanship, confidence in our abilities, and a strong network. How should I start developing my portfolio of clients when I dont currently have any?

Many Thanks

Is there any way you could offer free/discounted services to kick off the portfolio? I don't know the nature of your niche but maybe you could offer free revisions/money-back guarantee or something of the sort in order to reduce your potential clients' apprehension.

Offer to get your first client under your belt for free. Just do your thing one time for free, and do an amazing job.

There's your first piece of the portfolio.

Then ask for referrals from that first client that you've wow'd with your amazing service. Offer a discount to any of their buddies to build up additional portfolio pieces. Continue to ask for referrals. Start cold contacting people. You'll be well on your way.

That's how I'd play it in a brand new vertical where I wasn't already tied into the circle.

Yep. You have to do some low priced work before you can get high paying clients.

I remember watching a video where Alex Becker mentioned he'd rank a client for an easy keyword for free to get their business.

In our case we did some deeply discounted websites and SEO work for a friends website, which helped us get those first few portfolio items and testimonials under the belt.

You didn't mention how exactly you're going to be selling to the customers in your targeted niche. Will you be calling them over the phone? What's the difference between you and other firms, and how will you communicate that to the clients?

In our case, I know exactly how to answer when a client asks me that question and I make sure to emphasize our strong points.

You could create a special version of your product for that specific niche and then contact companies to do a pilot program, with conditions that you can use them as public referrals on your website. Then you can easily use the angle "we haven't done anything in your niche but look at all the other happy clients we have".

Never do anything for free... Ever!
That's not how you establish a portfolio. Read the book Million Dollar Consulting for better ways/ideas.

Do you have any personal successes? Are you an expert in any way? What value are you able to add to these businesses? Use those as your portfolio. You don't have to name names, you can just say: "Client 1" experienced a 50% increase in conversions using our methods, even if that client was your own site. etc.

Never do anything for free... Ever!
4487435.jpg

Back