Scraping + posting blog comments

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Is this still a viable technique? I'm planning to start commenting at least 5x per day on strong DA sites.

Normally I'd blog comment on high alexa sites for traffic and not links

In my opinion, yes it's still worth the time. Here's why:
  • More referring domains pointing to your homepage
  • They are completely safe links and you can make sure they are relevant
  • They are 99.9% no-follow (safe) and you'll use a name anchor which will help dilute your overall anchor profile
In the past I've done experiments where I hammered a site with a ton of no-follow blog comments where I was able to sculpt my anchor profile exactly how I wanted. I didn't use any other links. It was 100% no-follow but with the world's most perfect anchor spread.

Nothing happens. No ranks, no juice. But the anchors are primed.

After about 6 months of letting it sit, I gave it a handful of do-follow links to the homepage and it exploded. The homepage began to rank and the inner pages all started ranking as well, all to the tune of $2k a month. It didn't last because I was consistently seeing link-rot because it was crap blog comments (not good manual ones on specifically chosen sites).

My point is, blog comments offer every single ranking signal needed, minus being do-follow. Then you can validate the other signals (anchors, # of referring domains) with a few do-follows and boom you're in.

My suggestion on real sites is to try to make it a daily task of 3-5 a day or something, nothing to distract you from more important work, but enough to contribute over time. You can set up Google Alerts for Blog Posts and News Posts. It's endless and perfectly relevant. You create a million entry points into your site and Google can't help but continually encounter it and crawl your site.

This is also a good way to initiate some outreach to the owners of these sites. Ask questions, then you'll see who is responsive, and you'll already have a foot in the door when it's time to ask them for a favor - they'll recognize you as somebody who is already actively contributing to conversations on their site.

Buzz Bundle can help you monitoring all the conversations about a topic from a group of keywords a then you you can join the ones that you like for traffic leaking.

Another alert system you could try is talkwalker.com which I went to after I realised Google alerts wasn't that good.

Another alert system you could try is talkwalker.com which I went to after I realised Google alerts wasn't that good.
Looks nice, but $700 for the Basic plan?? Does their Free plan include alerts?

Yes I don't pay for it, not sure how many you get though. I have 18 alerts running right now.

What about blog comments on Disqus? The links on them have any value?

What about blog comments on Disqus? The links on them have any value?

You can drop a URL directly in the comment but I wouldn't. They're spam filter is insanely aggressive and once you get marked as spam, you're done. You have to ask webmasters to delete your comments from their sites or unmark them as spam. It's very much like Google does.

But yes, with Disqus as you comment around, you're getting do-follow links back to your own Disqus profile, which can feature a do-follow link back to your homepage. It's beautiful. You might even decide to aim some other types of links at your Disqus profile (carefully).

You might even decide to aim some other types of links at your Disqus profile (carefully).

Interesting! What kind of links could you comfortably post at a profile like that without any danger of throwing up flags?

In my opinion, yes it's still worth the time. Here's why:
  • More referring domains pointing to your homepage
  • They are completely safe links and you can make sure they are relevant
  • They are 99.9% no-follow (safe) and you'll use a name anchor which will help dilute your overall anchor profile
In the past I've done experiments where I hammered a site with a ton of no-follow blog comments where I was able to sculpt my anchor profile exactly how I wanted. I didn't use any other links. It was 100% no-follow but with the world's most perfect anchor spread.

Nothing happens. No ranks, no juice. But the anchors are primed.

After about 6 months of letting it sit, I gave it a handful of do-follow links to the homepage and it exploded. The homepage began to rank and the inner pages all started ranking as well, all to the tune of $2k a month. It didn't last because I was consistently seeing link-rot because it was crap blog comments (not good manual ones on specifically chosen sites).

My point is, blog comments offer every single ranking signal needed, minus being do-follow. Then you can validate the other signals (anchors, # of referring domains) with a few do-follows and boom you're in.

My suggestion on real sites is to try to make it a daily task of 3-5 a day or something, nothing to distract you from more important work, but enough to contribute over time. You can set up Google Alerts for Blog Posts and News Posts. It's endless and perfectly relevant. You create a million entry points into your site and Google can't help but continually encounter it and crawl your site.

This is awesome. I have a team of two I'm going to have consistently comment on a daily basis (Mon-Fri). What do you suggest for anchors? Just a persona name or should they switch it up on every comment?

Interesting! What kind of links could you comfortably post at a profile like that without any danger of throwing up flags?

Anything in low enough quantities really, but I'd rather try to build a contextual or two and then lightly sprinkle those with something easier to get ahold of. I'm not sure but I'd be willing to bet the Disqus team knows all about spam and tiering and wouldn't hesitate to delete profiles. So I'd add a tier behind it if I wanted to really push some juice. Otherwise, something clean. But really, if you're commenting around using Disqus then you're pushing a lot of juice to the profile as it is already.

This is awesome. I have a team of two I'm going to have consistently comment on a daily basis (Mon-Fri). What do you suggest for anchors? Just a persona name or should they switch it up on every comment?

I'd choose one or two names and leave it at that. Switching names on every comment wouldn't be realistic at all. If you can post with your brand name (short enough and reasonable enough) I'd do that. Two people 5 days a week seems like a lot. I'd make sure I was using Google Alerts or something to make sure i was commenting on brand new articles where the comments are more likely to be approved. You could also consider having them sign up on every forum in your niche and comment on each one a solid 20+ times or whatever, with your brand anchor in your signature. Same concept, just as good.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, loads of tips here

Back